Mini-me Swap

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
but for a 16 year old an extra $600 isnt easy to come by. especially with insurance
Well spending $500 on a D15z1 isn't to wise either then is it?

Pabz_arroyo

5+ Year Member
but the d15z1 was already on the car. my dad got it for next to nothing i mean it's just for now until i can acutally get good money together.

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
water pump is just a maitnace thing thats a b*tch to replace so people usually do while the engine is apart anyways. and dont listen to these guys. everyone is biast toward what they've done to their car. b seies guys s**t on d series all day boost s**t on NA. what you want to do is set a goal for hp and set a spending limit. choose which fits what you want the most. yea you could swap ouut for a better platform like b series but it would cost about 1K more and you would still need to modify that platform. if you havnt done it already you could piece together a junk yard turbo set up for like $700 but it take alot of learning and you need to find a place to tune it if you dont know how yourself. which would cost like $200. and if you dont get a good tune you blow your motor. and dont let these guys get you down. they obviously like different set up and work with bigger budgets.

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
oh and not to be a buzz kill or anything. if you swap a z6 head on your z1 you'll get a CR of 8:1 according to the zealautoworks calc

Pabz_arroyo

5+ Year Member
i'm not lookin for any major horsepower i just want an everyday driver that you can screw around with you know just as something small. i'm lookin for around 150-180 hp if i can get more i ain't complaining

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
yea after more research you would have to swap the pistons to even do the mini me sorry man

Pabz_arroyo

5+ Year Member
about how much would it cost to replace the pistons?? on the z1. i mean i think the mini-me would be good but if you have any suggestions besides getting another motor like the other douchebags say i'd be cool to know

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you really want to stay D, put p29 pistons in it. but then you are really talking could have had a swap since bearings will run you a couple hundred and then gaskets and such, just need to save up, $500 isn't burning a hole in your pocket too bad.

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
you could probably find stock b7 pistons for next to nothing that spmeone swapped out. those are good for like 200whp. on another note. idk how strong the z1 rods are but maybe nitrous? a good kit would run like $600. if not do your normal intake and exhaust maybe a light weight pulley then port match your manifolds with your head. use a 2 layer y8 head gasket and bump your CR a tad...

Pabz_arroyo

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the help im discouraged since my motor has a shitty compression rAtio to begin with And i dont want to screw that up anymore. Would i have to bore anything??

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Patience, just wait for something to come up, Leave the Z1. Save your money, best way to do it.

j0keefe21

5+ Year Member
ok first off that car looks as fast as my d15b7 with my intake, test pipe, and exhaust. also this car has different pistons. really not trying to be a douche but the mini me is a no go with out swapping pistons. if you did swap to a 2 layer y8 gasket thatd give you a CR of 9.44 not much but its something. still grab yourself a a z6 or y8 intake manifold. and port match your head and manifolds while your swapping head gaskets... look into the a6 cam i know its the most agressive stock non vtec cam. not 100%sure it will fit in your head but it should. im just trying to think of some good ideas off the top of my head. i've also heard good stories about aluminum crank pulleys.