Motor assembly

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello everyone,
Basically what I'm just about ready to swap a gsr block onto my b16 head, I have all the parts I need except a gsr crank, and timing belt. I went to a local shop today here in Oregon to get a price quote on assembling the shortblock, putting my b16 head on the block, and installing some ITR cams. They quoted me $1200 dollars for just the assembly but that seems rediuclous to me. After it's all assembled a friend and I can swap the assembled motor in the car, but I don't really want to mess around with the internals. My question is, do any NW people know of any other shops or local people I can try to get a better price from/help me assemble it? Thanks for looking =)

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where did you go

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the gsr shortblock assembled? if so u can do this urself..swapping heads is not that big of a deal..have a service manual of some sort handy for the tq specs..pick up some ARP headstuds and ur good to go...

if the price is just for swapping the head from the b16 block to the b18 block and changing cams that shop is highly overpriced...

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Where did you go
im gonna guess garage808

if they think you dont know any better, they'll always throw out high ass quotes

EgHatch93

EG Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Jesus... I took it to a shop in Dallas and for a full build - boring, balancing, port and polish - etc he charged me 1500 =/.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
theres a shop up here in tacoma/university place, a bit of a drive for you
but they do motor work and turbo work super cheap.

went to get a quote for a turbo install
he said $800 w/ labor, parts, and a day of tuning other shops wanting a G from
me for that.

my buddy is getting ls/vtec done there for i think he said 400$ for everything.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions:

Yes it was garage808, not bashing on them, they do GREAT work and I do understand why they charge so much. They are the only shop close to here with a dyno and specializes in hondas. I walked in there and there was literally 9 other engine blocks on the ground he was building for just this month, so it's not like he needs work. He can basically charge whatever he wants, but I still think that price is outrageous.

The shortblock is not assembled, basically I'd bring them the bare gsr block, the seperate rotating assembly, and my full b16a2. All they would have to do is put the rotating assembly in, swap the heads, put ITR cams in, and transfer over the water pump and all that...not worth 1200 bucks IMO.

253eg, whats the shop in tacoma called? My parents live in washington, tacoma is less than an hour from my house there so if theres a good shop in western washington or oregon either one works for me.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He quoted me 350 for basic motor assembly :lol: , so probably around 500 for everything I want done...freaking 1200 my ass.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
He quoted me 350 for basic motor assembly :lol: , so probably around 500 for everything I want done...freaking 1200 my ass.
:lol:

they do good work, but they will rip you a new a*****e if they can get away with it.....
unless you've got an "in" with them, they're just too shady

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh yeah, they do great work, but hell no am I paying that much.