MPG QUESTION... 200 miles on 1 tank?

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, whats up everyone?
Nothin much happening over here.

Anyways, I drive a 1997 Civic DX coupe 5-speed D16Y7 no VTEC.

And i did research and found out that my car has a 12 gal. tank, and the max MPG is 36 HWY... so if i did math right, I should get somwhere near 400 miles per tank.

Now... i just got home, tank is almost empty, and my trip odometer says 201 miles.... that means my civic has been getting about as much MPG as a V8...

I ussually shift at 3k RPMs, but i do some times go all the way to 6k when i need to pass people and stuff.

But I am pretty sure you guys have more experience on Civics (cuz im only 17) so im going to ask yall. When should I shift, also, what would make my MPG go down? I got short ram intake, and A'Pexi cat-back.

Also, my car smells like burning oil/clutch some times... and i dont ride on my clutch... help?

thanks =)

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well when's the last time you did a tune-up on your car?, i believe the shift point is at 3500 rpm but not totally sure you can look it up on your manual if you have it still. i only get around 27-28 mpg on my ep3 and that's 120 miles a day from work and home

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If by tune up you mean change fluids, and filters.... about 4 weeks ago.

But i am all like... wtf, why am i getting shitty MPG ... IN A CIVIC....

Also, the burning smell has me worried... i checked oil yesterday and it was low, i put more in, i checked it again today and its full.

My friends dont see smoke come out the back of my mufler... so idk....

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
spark plug,wires,rotors,caps is what i meant

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got new wires and sparks early January (8.0mm ACCEL and NGK V-Power sparks), by rotors you mean brake rotors? I havent changed those... yet....

And if by caps you mean the ones holding fluids whnere they supposed to go, i have never changed those...

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, you guys see. I know about cars more than the average person, but i am not that good.

I dont think i am running rich, but again, i am not sure what that means... isnt that when your car shoots small flames and a lot of backfire?

And I dont see any oil stains on my driveway, so i dont think i got an oil leak....

And also, my car has never been dyno'd so the air/fuel should be stock....

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i get about 350 in my civic leak alittle oil from the dizzy and thats all.

on denso spark plug,mobile one synthic,ebay short ram intake with k&n filter and y8 intake manifold on my d16y7 motor.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get your O2 sensor checked, a faulty one will lead to a significant decrease in gas mileage.

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You should be getting way more than 200 miles per tank. I get 36-38 mpg with my Y8 and I need a new cat!

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, i do want a Y8 intake manifold, but i will just get that once i get my Civic EX... which wont happen for a while... but still...

I guess i have to check my O2 sensor. But shouldnt the Check engine light turn on if that were the case?

rndmheroxx

5+ Year Member
im curious about this too, i get about 200 on the dot per tank as well, but mine is only 10gal i think. 96 civic ex. i dont have any leaks or anything, but i do drive like an ass all the time i have to admit. so i cant really assess what kind of milage i would get if i drove like a grandma lol. :cool:

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how many miles do you have?

probably needs major maint.
valves adjusted, re-timed, new timing belt, PCV valve, and new o2 sensors.

Alberto521

Just call me Alberto
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My timing belt does squeak from time to time, i guess it needs to be changed.

I have just under 98k.

Like how much would you think it would cost to do all that? I can get most of it done at my auto class in school...

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think o2 sensors are a little pricey. As far as I know, everything else is pretty reasonable if you do it yourself though. You wouldn't be getting bad mileage from your timing belt needing to be changed, but if your timing was off that could definitely affect it. 98k isn't too bad on the original timing belt but I would do it soonish just to be sure.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i only get 280ish and i've got a mini-me. no more oil leaks, but spark plug 4 is cross-threaded and seized...so changing those is needed, but won't be easy on the 4th. :(