Music is Devovling Before Our Eyes

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've been noticing this lately, and it's disturbing. The music trends of mainstream rock are literally taking steps backwards. Bands are dressing and playing like are not part of this generation. Having no original thought of their own, they instead recreate musical stylings from decades past. This s**t permeates the airwaves of local rock and alternative stations ... because I guess it has nowhere else to go? You could play some of this on Classic Rock and Oldies stations, and people wouldn't blink. They'd just think it was something they weren't exposed.

Here's some examples:

Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeiRe4Qp9Dw

Seriously? This is 2009 in Seattle, not 1967 in California. You are not the Mama's And The Papa's.

Wolfmother - Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKPPnGsdh0A

You are not Jimmi Hendrix. You are not Led Zeppelin. Stop it. Now.

3 Inches Of Blood - Destroy The Orcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Il84l6zg5o

80's fantasy metal ... really? These guys are so metal that they kicked their drummer out for getting in a bar fight.

And then there's music coming out where people who were once just epic are actually devolving into some sort of primitive douchebag.

Chris Cornell - Scream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBjBFEByEDE

Sound Garden meets Timbaland .... there went my childhood. As if the second Audioslave album wasn't insulting enough.

U2 - Get On Your Boots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eo4blmEJlc

No big surprise here. U2 hasn't been a decent band since the Joshua Tree. But 'Sexy Boots' .... :???:

I'm sure there's more I'm missing .... but this s**t is pissing me off. I think Mike Patton has it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKDvJTxZDbA

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't listen to anything new anymore and I'm glad I don't. Some funny s**t tho! :lol:

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I will agree with you on this, i dont listen to much of the music you posted but i see what your saying...

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah things are getting pretty lame. I listen to rap though :cool:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I haven't heard of any of the songs you listed, but I understand what you're saying. On top of that though, I think 95% of music today sucks. I sound like I'm old, but I feel like the radio usually just isn't worth listening to.

Old Man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
never heard of the first 3 bands..so i wouldn't consider them mainstream... but i agree... those songs do in fact suck. lol

but i kinda dig the cornell one...
it's just the next step in his career to appeal to the younger gen.
timbaland beats are the hot commodity now.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you have to realize the world is running out of ideas lol its hard to be original and unique in the entertainment business nowadays

but seriously i haven't turned on the deck in my car to radios stations in my car for over 2 years

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Havent even heard of those bands, except for U2. But I do agree. Thats why I dont even bother listening to the radio anymore. Nothing good is ever on.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i listen to electronica and under ground hip hop.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i snort coke and listen to metal

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ask him. I dare you

lsvtecEK4

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ill stick to listening to classic rock, and tool. works for me just fine.

currently listening to Rush - Red Barchetta ;)

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats why i stick to s**t that wont be played on the radio. I'll stick to my Pantera, Black Dahlia Murder, Throwdown and Lamb of god.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good thing the local rock radio hosts are all bad asses. lol they wont play crappy music.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good thing the local rock radio hosts are all bad asses. lol they wont play crappy music.
The station I listen to is in need of some cleansing. It sort of goes in waves of awesome, and then slowly slides into commercial, everyone gets fired including the station manager, and then it starts going uphill to awsome again. It's about at the end of the 'commercial' cycle. Right now it's managed by the same guy who runs the country station in the same building. :crook:

They play the same 15 songs over and over again, just like the country station (which is all we got to listen to at work). It gets pathetic when you can sing along to every song on the radio because you've heard each one 100 times, not because you like the music.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The station I listen to is in need of some cleansing. It sort of goes in waves of awesome, and then slowly slides into commercial, everyone gets fired including the station manager, and then it starts going uphill to awsome again. It's about at the end of the 'commercial' cycle. Right now it's managed by the same guy who runs the country station in the same building. :crook:

They play the same 15 songs over and over again, just like the country station (which is all we got to listen to at work). It gets pathetic when you can sing along to every song on the radio because you've heard each one 100 times, not because you like the music.
yea most stations play the same songs. The station I listen to is your typical 80's rock station full with a babe page on the website and commercials that refer to pot.

pyropunker25

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i like wolfmother, and i bought their cd when i was in england way before they even got "mainstream" but i no im just gonna be shitted on? but w/e, and i make my own music, play guitar for 5-6 years now and can play drums somewhat...

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[YOUTUBE="mmm mmm mmm"]1WBlDPkCJbo[/YOUTUBE]