My '94 Honda Civic Ex/ Slow Build

Al-v

Hey guys, so this is my first build thread. I bought a '94 honda civic ex sedan from my buddy's shop for $550 since he wanted it gone from his yard. It has a D16z6 vtec engine with a 5 speed tranny. It had a broken ball joint and needed a new cv axle so thats why it was so cheap but I got to fix it for free at his shop. Just going to let you guys know that this is going to be a slow build since that I am a full time college student and I don't have a job right now. hahaha It doesn't have any mods to it, just all stock right now.

The car needs:
-Hood
-Fenders
-Front doors

I have plans on fixing all the body work, dropping alot of parts in the engine, lowering springs, new rims, and an exhaust system. I'll post some picture of it.

Al-v

I can't seem to get pics up just yet.

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can't seem to get pics up just yet.
Looking forward to seeing it. Having problems uploading pictures?

Edit: Ah there they are! I like the color but you've got some nasty rust there pal. What kind of plans do you have for it?

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
That's a great start with a solid engine. How does the engine sound? Nice find for cheap!

Al-v

Looking forward to seeing it. Having problems uploading pictures?

Edit: Ah there they are! I like the color but you've got some nasty rust there pal. What kind of plans do you have for it?
Well I was a noob and didn't know how to post pictures but I got it now. haha But ya thats the price of living in Wisconisn, rust with all the salt. I want to paint it all silver and do the bay green just to be different. Then I want to lower it and put different rims on it and try to get the most hp out of my D16 till I get a B18 for it.

That's a great start with a solid engine. How does the engine sound? Nice find for cheap!
The engine sounds nice for being just stock. My exhaust doesn't help me since its just a straight pipe going to a stock ford muffler, sounds like a chain saw. lol but that's how I got it. It's a nice thing to have friends that own shops. haha

So I went down to Madison this past weekend to go to some street racing they have down there and I meet this guy down there that had some parts for my Civic and the nice part was that he lived like 30 mins away from me. So I went to his place and picked up a cam for it with around 2,000 miles on it for $60 and got a free hood and bumper too!!!! Not bad. The Hood has a small dent in the middle but better than the one I had on my car that had like hundreds of dents on it. So yesterday I removed my old bumper and hood and put on the new bumper and hood I got. I'll post of what it looks like now.
The cam I have

New hood I got

The bumper I got

Old hood

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I was a noob and didn't know how to post pictures but I got it now. haha But ya thats the price of living in Wisconisn, rust with all the salt. I want to paint it all silver and do the bay green just to be different. Then I want to lower it and put different rims on it and try to get the most hp out of my D16 till I get a B18 for it.

The engine sounds nice for being just stock. My exhaust doesn't help me since its just a straight pipe going to a stock ford muffler, sounds like a chain saw. lol but that's how I got it. It's a nice thing to have friends that own shops. haha

So I went down to Madison this past weekend to go to some street racing they have down there and I meet this guy down there that had some parts for my Civic and the nice part was that he lived like 30 mins away from me. So I went to his place and picked up a cam for it with around 2,000 miles on it for $60 and got a free hood and bumper too!!!! Not bad. The Hood has a small dent in the middle but better than the one I had on my car that had like hundreds of dents on it. So yesterday I removed my old bumper and hood and put on the new bumper and hood I got. I'll post of what it looks like now.
The cam I have

New hood I got

The bumper I got

Old hood

Very nice. You've got a lot of work ahead of you with this one

Al-v

Nice base to start with, you got a ton of bodywork to do though.
Oh ya that's for sure. I'm looking around for fenders because I need those bad, then a driver and passagener door. After that I'm going to fix the rear wheel wells since the last guy didn't decide to fix it, just bondo right over the rust.

Very nice. You've got a lot of work ahead of you with this one
Thanks man, ya I have alot on my plate with body work to be done but I have 2 buddy's with body shops so I'll be able to get a little help from them here and there with painting and what not.

Hood needs paint bad.
Lol ya it does. I'm just waiting for new fenders to do anything to the hood with paint.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Damn this car is beat to shet.

Pressure wash the engine bay and see if you can find any leaks.

Al-v

Damn this car is beat to shet.

Pressure wash the engine bay and see if you can find any leaks.
Ya the body isn't in the best of shape but I got what I paid for. I Washed up the engine bay today and it doesn't have any leaks that I saw.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what cam did you get?

i see the box has two slots, which makes me think its a dual head cam. which means you cant even use this part?

Al-v

what cam did you get?

i see the box has two slots, which makes me think its a dual head cam. which means you cant even use this part?
It is like a B performance cam. Can't remember off the top of my head. But it's for a D16z6 vtec motor, just came with two of the same cam I guess.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It is like a B performance cam. Can't remember off the top of my head. But it's for a D16z6 vtec motor, just came with two of the same cam I guess.
idk, i think you have a wrong cam. they dont send two of a same cams, for a single cam engine

Al-v

idk, i think you have a wrong cam. they dont send two of a same cams, for a single cam engine
Ya that does makes since that they wouldn't but I am about 95% postivie it is for a D16z6 vtec engine even though it does have two spots. I'll post a picture of the box later.

Al-v

So I got done with class today earlier so I went back home to work on the car. It was a crappy rainy day so I went to my buddy's shop and decided that I would clean up my engine bay a bit. I put new spark plugs in and did an oil change first. I washed up the engine bay first then decided that I wanted to take out my a/c, power steering, and cruise control. All of those things didn't work and power steering was leaking so I decided just to take them out and clean up the bay a little. After I was done with that, my buddy had some pipe and a filter laying around so I put on a temporary cold air intake.

Half-way through

A/c, Power steering, cruise control all out

Before

After

Alphonse

Forever avoiding potholes
5+ Year Member
definitely looks cleaner w/o power steering and air-con, don't know if I'd ditch those myself, but I figure if they don't work, you might as well. Have you tried wd-40 to clean up your bay? I've heard that does a hell of a good job getting all the dirt, grease, and general crap out