My car sucks. Won't start, turns over, ICM problem? ECU problem?

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wish I had tools and knowledge. Car wouldn't start one day, thought I flooded it, let it set for 2 hours, tried again, nothing. Ignition problem maybe? Battery is 2 months old, full charge, everything electrical works (fans, stereo, alarm, pumps, relays, etc)... it turns over, just doesnt fire. The fuel pump and fans turn on, so they are working, nothing bad there. The wires and plugs are only like 9 months old, from when my engine was rebuilt. I think the dizzy is still original 1994 material though, along with ECU

Anywho, some buddies who are smarter than me suggested it might be the ICM inside the distributor, but I really have no way to check, unless I want to rip it out and take to a place.. who would even check that? General stores like AutoZone and s**t?

Also, another suggestion was that it might be ECU. heard that fried ECU's could still have the engine turn over but not fire. My car is not modified in the least, engine wise or electrical wise, ECU has never been tampered with, so could this be a problem?

No harm in checking though right. Also heard that if you use a multimeter and connect ECU pinout A8 and chassi ground and it shows a current, that means the ECU is fried?

Other than than, I'm hoping to get my hands on an ECU to borrow and plug in, and possibly a d15b7 distributor to rip apart and switch ICM's with and see what's going on. I suck.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when it starts how does it sound, the battery could be weak even if its old
your alt could be bad and killed it, but you might have enough juice for other things, you do need a multi meter and a haynes so you can see how to test other things on the car

have you checked all the fuses, from my exp with many cars most of the time when my car wouldnt start it was stupid s**t like bad batterys or ecu fuse being blown

a dead short someone could jack some s**t up big time..

just check the easy stuff before the big stuff

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Hatch_Of_Doom said:
Anywho, some buddies who are smarter than me suggested it might be the ICM inside the distributor, but I really have no way to check, unless I want to rip it out and take to a place.. who would even check that? General stores like AutoZone and s**t?
it takes about 5 minutes to get the icm out of your car while the distributor is still attached if i remember correctly..... it's much easier than you think bro. it's about the size of a pack of saltine crackers, just get one from a junkyard and swap it out. i've had that problem before on many of my honda's

rcoolb2002

Team Quickwhips
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like the coil in your distributor, or the ground for the distributor.

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tried jumping it already too to see if it was battery and nothing. I just need to borrow and ECU and get a free dizzy or something.

Civlude

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you check for voltage like i recommended?

Hatch_Of_Doom

death's just death
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Civlude said:
did you check for voltage like i recommended?
from what? there's been manty things I've been trying to check current coming from.

I borrowed a DX 5 speed ECU from Transonic and hooked it up, nothing was wrong. Still did the same thing. I have a coil and ICU sitting in my garage but can't get my rotor off.

Civlude

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hatch_Of_Doom said:
from what? there's been manty things I've been trying to check current coming from.

I borrowed a DX 5 speed ECU from Transonic and hooked it up, nothing was wrong. Still did the same thing. I have a coil and ICU sitting in my garage but can't get my rotor off.
Well then obviously its not the ecu. And what do you mean "from what?" LoL, I spent a good 5 minutes telling you to check between A8 and chassis ground. Oh well, dont matter now i guess, the ecu isnt bad. My moneys on the ignition control unit.

Interlinker

THe doctor is in...
5+ Year Member
The weak link on honda engines is the ignition system.... I have had my 95 dx coupe since brand new and had to replace the ignition module twice. If you want to street race it or do any serious upgrades to it... go aftermarket to a MSD ignition... I got about 10 or so MPG better with it.... N/A. But to solve you're prob... change the ignition mod... hope you have alot of green in you're wallet.... hope that helps