My custom EK side mirrors

Decipher

Registered VIP
Bought some cheap side mirrors off of eBay and hated them... this is what I did with the LEDs out of them. I think it's pretty clean, and I haven't seen anybody with this done on factory side mirrors. Took about 30 minutes in all. I still need to solder and hide the lines in the panels and through the hose between the door and jam, but the lights are done. Here's what they look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPO5QEcmmg

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

Decipher

Registered VIP
BTW, they only come on when cornering, not on ALL the time, or when I brake or anything stupid like that.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Thanks. Only think I would change is the color, keep them amber with the rest of the turn signals.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Yea, the LEDs were in a little plastic housing so I removed my facotry mirrors and cut a space for them to fit into the backing of the mirror(it's made of plastic)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks clean. i like

Decipher

Registered VIP
Thanks guys. I was inspired by some write-ups on here about swapping bulbs out for LEDs in the gauge cluster and climate control panel... which I will be doing next using amber LEDs to match with the color of the car.

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i like this kind of turning lights but hate the aftermarket mirrors look, i would try to make the same as you, i love them!!! do you have any kind of diy or writeup for fitting the leds???

Decipher

Registered VIP
I forgot to take pics as I was doing it. It's hot as hell outside and my the only thing on my mind was getting it finished. It's relatively easy to do though, requiring little to no technical skill.

1) Pop off the cover on the inside of your door that hides the bolts holding your sidemirror to the car.

2) Remove the sidemirror by backing off the nuts and (for power mirrors) squeezing the clip through the hole as you pull outward.

3. Once you have the mirror housings off the car, pry the actual mirror out of the housings(gently) using only your hands as to not break the glass. Notice that the back of the mirror is not exposed, but covered in plastic... this must be removed. (next step)

4. I used a razor blade and mocked up the LEDs on the plastic to see how big of a hole I needed to make in order for the LEDs to fit into the plastic backing. Then, VERY GENTLY, cut the appropriate size hole. Be sure to have the mirror face down, flat against a firm surface when applying pressure with the cutting instrument so that there is no awkward torque or stress on the glass(it is very brittle and thin and WILL break if you strain it)

5. Once the hole is made you will need to secure the LEDs to the rear of the mirror(facing out, shining through the glass) so they do not come detached while driving due to rough road, bumps and such. The LEDs that I was using were already assembled in a neat little plastic triangle, with screw holes on the corners that I used to screw it into the outer edge of the hole I had made. Depending on what LEDs you are using, I imagine that silicone would suffice to hold them in place against the glass.

6. Next you will just need to run wire from your actual turn signal bulbs to the LEDs. I just used speaker wire and stripped back about an inch at the ends, which I fed down into the leads of the harness that attaches to the bulb for my corner lights. I ran that wire through the fenders and jumped across the door jamb behind the dorr panel and up into the side mirror housing.

7. Put everything back together, and you're done!

I Know I'm leaving out details, because I started out with one of the major components already assembled (the LEDs) and your set up might be slightly different. Any questions, feel free to ask. Sorry I didn't think to do a proper write up on this. It's easier than it sounds though.

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, it sounds easy, i will make my own leds on a pbc board and try it first on an old broken sidemirror, you cleared some doubts thanks

Decipher

Registered VIP
no problem. Hope that helped. If you get it done be sure to throw up some pics... like I said I searched online and haven't found anybody else with this exact kind of LED mod to their civics, not on factory side mirrors at least.

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
of course i will post pics, the problem is to find the time for working

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great job! i have never seen this on a civic. if you had side markers, it would be too much side blinkings, but since you dont, it works very well. also, the color red signifies stop, and yellow signifies yielding to turn. i think you chose the wrong color. it should be orange. however, i think i saw a newer car with the arrow being red, i could be wrong tho...excellent work tho.

Decipher

Registered VIP
...the color red signifies stop, and yellow signifies yielding to turn. i think you chose the wrong color. it should be orange. however, i think i saw a newer car with the arrow being red, i could be wrong tho...excellent work tho.

Yea, the color thing is just a preference... I would prefer amber, but since I already had these I figured wtf? As far as if it's technically correct regarding the color, I've seen an equal number of cars (from factory) with amber as well as red in this particular style of corner lights. For some reason I feel like most american cars come with the red, and european imports come with amber. It's all the same s**t, really. It's definitely rare on a civic though, at least a 15 year old civic.

eK4TheWin

Plz dnt teez the SOHC
Bought some cheap side mirrors off of eBay and hated them... this is what I did with the LEDs out of them. I think it's pretty clean, and I haven't seen anybody with this done on factory side mirrors. Took about 30 minutes in all. I still need to solder and hide the lines in the panels and through the hose between the door and jam, but the lights are done. Here's what they look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfPO5QEcmmg

What do y'all think?
Dude that came out so ill!! Imma definitely do that on my EK. Anything you might know about amber LED's? I know you were saying that you wish yours were amber, so I'm assuming the answer is no but just in case. Does the seller offer different colors that you may know of? THanks for your response and patience with my potentially stupid questions lol.