My DIY Blackout Headlights......

kawzhavok

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
natedoggx331 said:
look really good. how is the visability of the turning signals with the reflectors painted over like that? i kind of like that look better then leaving the reflector part chrome. i was told that you had to leave it chrome... maybe ill redo mine
Reflects excelent. It looks so much better blacked out. I'm going for a very stealth type look. I want everything black on the car. Im doing my Calipers black, smoking my tails light black, and very dark tints as well. I might get my si rims sprayed too, not sure yet... :twisted:

Gotrice284

SWAY-DIZZLE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for the guys who have done the jdm look, im going to do mine, what kind of paint looks and work best, if im painting the the light do i have to corver the amber or could i just paint over it?

kawzhavok

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotrice284 said:
for the guys who have done the jdm look, im going to do mine, what kind of paint looks and work best, if im painting the the light do i have to corver the amber or could i just paint over it?
Paint over it

kawzhavok

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotrice284 said:
what kind of paint?
I used high heat paint, Duplicolor Engine Enamel-Semi Gloss Black DE1635. Yeah Its High heat Engine Pant, but I'll never have to worry about it chipping or anything when Its like 100 Degrees out. Oh I also used Primer first. Spray like 1 coat of primer, then Like 4 or 5 coats of the Black paint.

Gotrice284

SWAY-DIZZLE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kawzhavok said:
I used high heat paint, Duplicolor Engine Enamel-Semi Gloss Black DE1635. Yeah Its High heat Engine Pant, but I'll never have to worry about it chipping or anything when Its like 100 Degrees out. Oh I also used Primer first. Spray like 1 coat of primer, then Like 4 or 5 coats of the Black paint.
well I bought Krylon Fusion gloss balck, and do I have to prime it first, the paint said that no primer needed just spary and good, has anybody used this paint on there lights? (krylon)

Last edited:

Kryten

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotrice284 said:
well I bought Krylon Fusion gloss balck, and do I have to prime it first, the paint said that no primer needed just spary and good, has anybody used this paint on there lights? (krylon)

that fusion paint is the kind that bonds with plastic when it cures. so no you do not need primer with it. but im not very sure about how well it will hold up to heat. like that comming off the headlights. you might want to try a test piece somewhere and leave it cloxe to a heat source for a few hours or so to see what if anything will happen. I also am not sure about long term durability of the fusion paint. I know the Duplicolor paint holds up very well.

Gotrice284

SWAY-DIZZLE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kawzhavok said:
ok well im going to go with that paint, did u have to sand it at all? and when u put it back in the oven does the paint hold up ok?

kawzhavok

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotrice284 said:
ok well im going to go with that paint, did u have to sand it at all? and when u put it back in the oven does the paint hold up ok?
No Sanding, I didn't put the painted part in the oven, just the back part of the Light fixture. I let the glue melt on that , and then just put them together again, and sealed it with Scilicone.

Gotrice284

SWAY-DIZZLE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh ok, so what kind of silcone seal did u use, im sorry for asking so many questions, sounds like u did a good job so, I thought i would follow your steps i bought Duplicolor semi gloss High Heat Paint and Gray primer I should be all ready to go then

kawzhavok

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotrice284 said:
oh ok, so what kind of silcone seal did u use, im sorry for asking so many questions, sounds like u did a good job so, I thought i would follow your steps i bought Duplicolor semi gloss High Heat Paint and Gray primer I should be all ready to go then
Damn, I'm at work right now, I don't remember what Scilicone I used. I'll get back to you on that though tonight...

foam

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I painted over the reflectors too and it reflects fine. It is pretty visible.

beav

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ferio-moreno said:
i dont recommend anyone do this, i tossed mine in a box after one of em got somedamaged to s**t from constantly fogging up.

u got a 50/50 chance of getting great results for both headlights. but chances are, in a few weeks to a few months, ur headlights will start to look very ugly.......

did come out nice though.

now i got my tyc's and i couldn't be happier ^_^

btw - why do u want to remove ur dohc stickers???? i love those things.
Thinking about doing it this weekend. What happened to them? What did you do (or not do) to mess them up. Got any pics?

Gotrice284

SWAY-DIZZLE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok ive dont my lights, they look sick, there awsome, very simple to do, ill post pics in day time for you guys, thanks for all info from you guys, big help

soundshape2005

stuckin foned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im doing mine tomarrow, its gonna be warmer, I got it all ready to go though. Just need a little silicone. I wonder what a couple clear coats over the top would look like.. Has anyone tried tinting the lens (the front clear part)? Kawzhavok yours came out sick.. nicely done.