My rice car: 1989 dx

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
I bought this car about a year ago and over a year it has been nothing but fun. I picked it up for 500 with a running sohc zc swap, dpfi-mpfi swapped, and si trans swapped. I put all of my mint interior from my red ed into it since it was rust free and slowly started swapping out the exterior/suspension/turbo and eventually put a crx dash in it.

Once I got the turbo stuff installed on the stock block. I went out, tuned it on the saf-c with the plx m-300 and ran the piss out of it. I figured something was wrong with my wastegate or something cause my boost gauge was only reading 6 psi. I never noticed it then but when the car was not running the boost gauge would read about -4psi. So I didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize that it was actually making 10 pounds when my gauge was only reading 6. So I tried to turn it up using a little fish line valve, bad news. I ended up blowing it up @14lbs about 60 miles from home.

Pics of it sitting on the side of the highway waiting for the trailer/on the trailer

Since then I started a rebuild which included the infamous eagle/vitara set-up with acl rod bearings and oem mains and thrust washers. I kept the stock head, intake manifold, throttle body and upgraded some other things in the process. Like engine management, fuel system, boost controller etc etc. This set-up is as follows:

ENGINE:
JDM SOHC ZC block
vitara 75 mm pistons
Eagle h-beam rods
ACL rod bearings
OEM main and thrust washers
ARP headstuds
New water pump
New OEM headgasket
New timing belt
stock head
stock intake manifold
stock throttle body
no name block guard

TURBO KIT:
GT30R
Revhard cast manifold
Tial wastegate-10 psi spring

ENGINE MANAGEMENT:
Hondata s3000
Greddy profec B spec II
Gm 3 bar map sensor
Ran open loop all the time

SUSPENSION:
Apex-i t-max ITR 12 way adjustable struts with sprint springs
DA front and rear disc conversion
Front skunk2 knockoff camber kit
Some kinda cheap rear camber kit

On dyno day it made 343whp and 260ft/lbs on 20 psi

I ran it for close to 2 months at Bandimere speedway here in CO at ~5800ft and came out with a best of 11.62 @ 116mph with a 1.666 60' on 20 psi

The pics:

heres the vid of a 3rd gear burnout against a gto which I beat by about 5 tenths of a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K35xor0FzRU

Next season will include a fully built/ported and polished head. Cage, Parachute, Window net along with the rest of the works will include pictures as time goes on.

So I've dedicated this car to be a full out track car with all the necessary stuff to make it street legal. Eventually the dash will come out and I will run a 96-00 engine harness which will be the only OE wiring in the whole car. I will wire the turn signals/hazards/brake/headlights all manually onto a switch panel.

Here's the pics:

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
so thats my ride any comments/thoughts?

lilbetty

5+ Year Member
I Agree! Looks pretty cool! I drive a 1990 DX. Good luck!

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
I've been trying to get a hold of the material to build my cage this week along with a new traction bar set-up so hopefully I'll have some updates by the end of the week. Thanks for the comments guys.

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice man, thats sick. Fab up that cage and get going lol.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, man that's no rice, that's a sleeper, those are good #'s for that SOHC, what's next?

Bheims

Bustin windows outcha car
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^^ x2 that video is dope...lol at ur sig

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
Great job! Are you planning to race your dx?
I ran it at Bandimere ~5800" elevation for about 2 months this summer and came out with a best of 11.62 @ 119mph with a 1.666 60' This next summer will be even funner

Keep in mind I ran those times with the full interior. Not as how it's pictured up above.

nice man, thats sick. Fab up that cage and get going lol.
I went up to PFIspeed (shop that tuned the car) to pick up a cage yesterday and the metal fabricator has been a little lazy so I was told to bring a sawzall up with me tomorrow to cut a FREE cage out of an ed hatchback that they have sittin up there. So I will go pick that up tomorrow.
Post up a build on the traction bars.
Definitely will post pics once I get it all installed/welded up. I will pick up all the pieces from PFI when I go back up tomorrow, heim joints, bar stock, and have a some pieces threaded when I get there.

Damn, man that's no rice, that's a sleeper, those are good #'s for that SOHC, what's next?
I know it's not rice lol, it's just kind of an inside joke between me my friend that I go race with. As for times I was just slower than the 11.49 mark which requires a 3 layer fire jacket, 6 pt roll cage, 5 pt harness, metal valve stems, scatter shield, etc. So all that safety equipment is on order just in time for christmas, with the exception of the cage which should be in within the next week or so. Aside from the safety stuff I will be putting together a fully built/p&p head with super-tech springs/retainers/keepers/valves, zex 103500 cam, skunk2 IM, Not sure which t-body yet but that will be in the works along with a new exhaust manifold.
The only thing that will be left stock in the motor will be sleeves and crank.

^^ x2 that video is dope...lol at ur sig
Thanks, lol. I actually went down to Pueblo for their trick or treat event after Bandimere closed and really started throwing down the bad ass 3rd gear burnouts. I'll see what I can do to find the videos.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Picture of the new Carbon Fiber Hood also: Shitty quality I know but it was taken with a picture phone.

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
please tell me you drive it like that on the street, i kinda wish i could get myself to gut my car like that and cage it, but there is no point for me. Very nice times your turned with that thing. looking forward to updates.

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
please tell me you drive it like that on the street, i kinda wish i could get myself to gut my car like that and cage it, but there is no point for me. Very nice times your turned with that thing. looking forward to updates.
I have driven it on the street like this but is almost unbearable. With the 3" straight pipe (no muffler, cat, resonator) it's retardedly loud. I drove it around a lot more often when I had the interior in it mainly because the seats and carpet reflected the sound away from my ears so only the people around me could hear it. Even after the 96 dx engine harness is in I think I'll rig up brake/head/turn signals so it will be somewhat streetable eventhough it will not have a dash or heater core just a tach and a temp gauge. Updates will probably be this weekend once I pick up the cage and traction bar set-up, so stay tuned!

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
I picked up my cage and parts to fab up my traction bars.

Went up to PFIspeed in here in CO today and brought my sawzall and a buddy thanks PHAGSKTR with me to cut a cage out of a car that was just given for free. We had to pull it towards the shop so we could run the extension cord out to start cutting. Heres the pic of it after we brought it to our shop. The bar on the right is the drivers side kicker bar. The one on the left will be the center part of the custom PFIspeed traction bar.

Here's pieces that go with the traction bar set-up. The bigger two pieces on the top left will be tow hooks, on the top theres some custom machined female pieces for the heim joints, then washers for the heims on the right, the stock radius rods will be re-used. The other brass knuckle looking pieces are places where the heims will meet the front cross bar.

xohcef-t

single clam masta
5+ Year Member
Started moching up the traction bar:

Custom machined female pieces for the Heims:

All of it moched up for an idea of the final product: