My steering wheel is peeling ?!?! =[

fvelasco89

5+ Year Member
I have a civic 00 ex and my steering wheel is like peeling on the top, maybe bcuz its old? but does anyone have any tips on how to fix it or stop it from peeling more? thank you

99HondaEx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
keep the sun off it

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Betty Boop steering wheel cover from Pep Boys!!

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
or the ones with cherrys on it,

guachi

5+ Year Member
keep the sun off it
Yes for starters keep it off the sun, get tint on your side windows at least and put in one of those sun covers when you leave it on the parking lot.

Betty Boop steering wheel cover from Pep Boys!!
This is another option and it looks a lot better... also you can buy products that will stop deterioration of your steering wheel, this peeling happens because the materials that compose the steering wheel dry up, so you need apply oiling to it to keep it nice and shiny, look for armor all or some kinda s**t like that to protect interiors... apply it offently on the wheel to restore its moisture and texture...

sc7

5+ Year Member
Yea, the steering wheels in these Civics were made out of a cheaper material than newer ones are.

I got a steering wheel cover and I love it, it's not too hot in the summer, and not too cold in the winter.

Alternatively, you could get a whole new wheel.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes for starters keep it off the sun, get tint on your side windows at least and put in one of those sun covers when you leave it on the parking lot.

This is another option and it looks a lot better... also you can buy products that will stop deterioration of your steering wheel, this peeling happens because the materials that compose the steering wheel dry up, so you need apply oiling to it to keep it nice and shiny, look for armor all or some kinda s**t like that to protect interiors... apply it offently on the wheel to restore its moisture and texture...

DO NOT PUT ARMOL ON ANYTHING. Anybody that know's interior it will destroy it over time, you will NEVER get it off of the car, it is horrible! It voids any/all factory warranty's for your dash (doubt you have one but good info) Just keep the sun off of it, find a good product like Meguiars that has whipes for that and get a cover or a new wheel.

guachi

5+ Year Member
DO NOT PUT ARMOL ON ANYTHING. Anybody that know's interior it will destroy it over time, you will NEVER get it off of the car, it is horrible! It voids any/all factory warranty's for your dash (doubt you have one but good info) Just keep the sun off of it, find a good product like Meguiars that has whipes for that and get a cover or a new wheel.
Well, that's true meguiars its a lot better than armor all, of course the idea is to use a product that will help, i said armor all cause it was the first thing that came into my mind but any product that will restore the quality of the material is good... Specially Meguiars!!

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
they all do it after time, just get a new wheel

iBeast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where can you find an s2k steering wheel for not way overpriced??

andrewmrtnsn

5+ Year Member
ya so mine was doing it too.. i didnt do s**t to it n it just wore down to a certain point n isnt wearing anymore.. much cheaper and easier fix

siccdragon

5+ Year Member
personally i grab one every time i need one when i go to the junkyard. its 5-10 bucks where i go and im on my 3rd one in 2 years. Thank you Arizona!

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Good call bro.....when the hell was the last time that you read the directions to a bottle of Armor All???? It specifically says NOT to put it on the steering wheel....know why??? Because it gives it an oily texture. Know why thats a problem??? Because your hands could possibly slip off the wheel.

Safe driving > shiny steering wheel.....

guachi

5+ Year Member
Good call bro.....when the hell was the last time that you read the directions to a bottle of Armor All???? It specifically says NOT to put it on the steering wheel....know why??? Because it gives it an oily texture. Know why thats a problem??? Because your hands could possibly slip off the wheel.

Safe driving > shiny steering wheel.....
The steering wheel soaks that oily stuff, i guess you apply it while driving and that is why your steering wheel gets slipery... besides if you grab the wheel properly it should not slip off your hands, you probably drive with one hand only all the time and that is why it happens to you... i use it on mine and it hasn't slipped off at any time...