My trannys slipping and I want to clean my solenoids

jctyler

I have a 1999 Civic Si Coupe Canadian spec. D16Y8 4 speed automatic. I want to access and clean my tranny solenoids but want to take the car part as little as possible given its age and that its also my daily driver. I know the shift solenoid can be accessed from the top right corner, 3 bolts to remove it from the top. My question is about getting to the linear solenoid. Can I access it once I take out the shift solenoid from the the top right of the engine bay or I must take off the splash guard and only access it from the bottom of the car? I'm looking at the service manual illustrations for my basis of knowledge on this task. Any practical real world experience on this would be appreciated.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I dont have the exact answer for you yet, but Ill take a look a the service manual and get back to you. However from experience working on Honda CRV AWD automatic transmissions you can not access anything inside the transmission without disassembly. Honda automatic transmissions were meant to be sealed units. Only maintenance required is generally fluid flush and replacements with the proper fluid and friction modifiers.

jctyler

I was using the service manual as a reference and both of these solenoids are external and are on top and below the tranny, on the passenger side corner.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
So I just reviewed the service manual and as I mentioned previously, nothing to service internally other than fluid exchange. Solenoids can be tested but generally a replace component if necessary.
Yes you can replace both solenoids as well as the reverse switch.