n00b suspension question

e DoGG 4 sHo

5+ Year Member
So, I spun 180 on a turn on the freeway a few days ago, but I'm sure if I had an upgraded suspension on my stock 98 EX couple, then I wouldn't had spun 180. I have a question about the lower tie bar etc.

So, if I was to get that upgraded, I would need a lower tie bar, control arms, and a rear sway bar? Also, what is a good lower tie bar? Beaks? DC? Same question for control arms and rear sway bar. It all works the same in the end though, correct?

Also I question about lowering my Civic... I have Tein S-Tech lowering springs, would I be able to drive it without cambers? If I was to get cambers later on would it be a better ride? Thanks CC.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
your question is confusing... are you trying to keep your car from spinning out on the freeway?

controls arms dont do s**t, they're mostly for rear suspension bling, and tie bars do little to nothing unless you have a upgraded rear sway bar. I really like the looks and price of the beak's tie bar.

and yes you would be able to drive the car without camber kits, many people do it, just set your toe to 0 at an alignment rack.

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'm sure if you had an upgraded suspension on your stock 98 EX coupe, you still would've spun 180 for being stupid. any normal driving shouldn't make a car spin 180 degrees. so stop being stupid and drive safely.

lower tie bars and control arms do nothing for a suspension function wise. they only look better. any brand would all yield the same thing. pick one that has your favorite color and call it a day.

rear sway bar would help. if you run a bigger bar, then you would need a beaks subframe reinforcement kit, so you don't tear apart the frame of you car. if you run an SI or ITR bar, you should be fine without the beaks kit.

yes, you can lower your car on springs without a camber kit.

e DoGG 4 sHo

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the answer. So, I would need control arms if I was to get a lower tie bar?

e DoGG 4 sHo

5+ Year Member
If I was to get a lower tie bar, and a sway bar, can I still get a rear subframe brace? Sorry I'm a n00b... smh...

Inertial

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This sounds like you are trying to annoy us. My tips to you are buy better traction wheels, put your lowering springs on[get a spring compressor or shoot yourself in the face], final and not least stop driving like an idiot. How did you do a 180 on the freeway and not hit a wall is beyond me, but im pretty sure regardless of what you did, it more involves your tires and stupidity than any suspension can fix buddy.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i'm sure if you had an upgraded suspension on your stock 98 EX coupe, you still would've spun 180 for being stupid. any normal driving shouldn't make a car spin 180 degrees. so stop being stupid and drive safely.

lower tie bars and control arms do nothing for a suspension function wise. they only look better. any brand would all yield the same thing. pick one that has your favorite color and call it a day.

rear sway bar would help. if you run a bigger bar, then you would need a beaks subframe reinforcement kit, so you don't tear apart the frame of you car. if you run an SI or ITR bar, you should be fine without the beaks kit.

yes, you can lower your car on springs without a camber kit.

if this doesnt answer your question idk what will.;)

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
controls arms dont do s**t, they're mostly for rear suspension bling, and tie bars do little to nothing unless you have a upgraded rear sway bar.
Are you guys f**ken kidding me??!
Can't believe you guys just gave those answers. Lol

First of all every single after market part has a perpouse. The way you tend to use it its up to you. You want to use it as suspension "BLING" then go ahead but for performance aftermarket lower control arms, tie bars/strut bars, sway bars ect, are superior from stock. Oem parts flex, bend, twist under preasure where after market parts prevent that. Which I say make the suspension on our rides about 10 times better with the right parts.

Anyways, I do believe you were probably doing some thing stupid for doing a 180 on the freeway. Get yourself sum good threated tires and yes you can use a subframe with a beaks tie bar. Also if you want to drop your car I say go with sum coilovers. There's plenty out there so just search and see which supports your budget and your style.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aftermarket LCA bushings are worse than OEM ones.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:popcorn: I just got some LCA bushings that looked just like the OE ones... I would like the passJDM spherical bearing ones but cant justify 280 bucks.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Are you guys f**ken kidding me??!
Can't believe you guys just gave those answers. Lol

First of all every single after market part has a perpouse. The way you tend to use it its up to you. You want to use it as suspension "BLING" then go ahead but for performance aftermarket lower control arms, tie bars/strut bars, sway bars ect, are superior from stock. Oem parts flex, bend, twist under preasure where after market parts prevent that. Which I say make the suspension on our rides about 10 times better with the right parts.

Anyways, I do believe you were probably doing some thing stupid for doing a 180 on the freeway. Get yourself sum good threated tires and yes you can use a subframe with a beaks tie bar. Also if you want to drop your car I say go with sum coilovers. There's plenty out there so just search and see which supports your budget and your style.
no im not kidding, unless you're pushing the car to its complete limits and you're looking for to get that one hundreth of a second in a race, they're just suspension/undercarriage bling.

the holes in the lower control arms in theory allow for better aero dynamics, but c'mon now... :lol:

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey they are great for performance so they'll do wounders on a daily drive.

But yeah that's why I said depends on how you use it.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Say what?
Who told you that lie or where did you buy your lca's?
You sir are a fool. Go ask any real suspension guru and they will tell you the same.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you spun on the freeway its due to your lack of experience correcting an out of control car, not because of your suspension. stock civics are designed to be front heavy and have significant understeer specifically to prevent loss of control due to spinning/fish tailing. the front tires will almost always break traction before the rear tires.

the second most likely cause of your 180 is bad tires. if your front tires have good traction and your rear tires do not this will result in an oversteering car. also, your alignment could cause oversteer characteristics which can be corrected at a tire shop

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey they are great for performance so they'll do wounders on a daily drive.

But yeah that's why I said depends on how you use it.
you are on crack if you think lower tie bars and lower control arms help in performance.

what does "it depends on how you use it" mean? It bolts onto specific places and that's it. you can't really switch it around to make it more functional. please elaborate on that. thanks.