NA to boost exhaust solution?

hckyplya8

Yeah I knew that there was a lot of cars out there now that a "tune" was simply changing everything on the stock ECU. I was just confused as how a obd1 ECU would would in a car meant for obd2. That will make it easier when doing the exhaust now that i for sure don't need a cat or the 02 defowler route. I am however going to have an o2 bung welded for a wideband AFR gauge. Where is the best spot for that?

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
My buddy who has a 500+whp rsx runs that black vibrant muffler, he likes it a lot.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Which ever wideband you buy will have instructions on the angle and where to place it. I think my glowshift wideband says 32" from the turbo. Idk how it works but somehow a jumper harness converts the wiring setup to allow obd1 to work which is pretty much the only option but will not pass smog. A stand alone ems will pass smog as long as its hidden well and tuned right

JeffBel

Registered VIP
As soon as they plug in the obd computer to the car and see its on obd1 they'll know something is up.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As soon as they plug in the obd computer to the car and see its on obd1 they'll know something is up.
This. If you're going boost, do not expect to pass smog, unless you purchase a full kit from GReddy or something. Even then, you'd have to run stock diameter exhaust.

Speaking of, I somehow missed that you have a 2.5 downpipe. That negates my 3in exhaust comment, as users have stated, it will defeat the purpose. Keep 2.5 inch. That vibrant muffler is great. My buddy ran it with no cat and 2.5 on his turbo B16 Del Sol. It was quiet until he went WOT. Also, avoid a cutout. As Jeff stated, adjustments in backpressure instantaneously like that will mess up your tune bad.

I still don't see 250whp out of a single cam without internal work. I had a hard time getting 320whp out of my B18 Integra without using ARP head studs. I think the head started lifting at like 280hp, and the B18 is stronger than any single cam.

hckyplya8

I am installing ARP head studs before I go boost. And I passed emissions in summer so I won't have to again and where I am going to school next year doesn't require emissions there so I will just do it there if needed. The ECU on chrome was tuned at 10psi by King Motorsports. I want to be anywhere from 200+ safely for daily before I can build a single cam for more power

JeffBel

Registered VIP
The only benefit of the arp studs over oem is arp are made to be reused. If you buy NEW oem studs they will hold 1000 ponies down easy.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The only benefit of the arp studs over oem is arp are made to be reused. If you buy NEW oem studs they will hold 1000 ponies down easy.
I dunno man. I was lifting on stock head studs. I was going to replace with OEM, but was discouraged by my tuner (GoPower Motorsports). ARP has always done me right.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I dunno man. I was lifting on stock head studs. I was going to replace with OEM, but was discouraged by my tuner (GoPower Motorsports). ARP has always done me right.
If you have a feeling you want to take your engine apart again then go arp. If you are confident in your build go oem

emerican

Registered VIP
where those on new oem ones or the ones that where already with the motor just curious

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im in the process of my Y8 turbo build and the tuner I plan to use told me with my goal (300hp daily) that rods and pistons would be ideal. He recommended me "CP pistions" with "Manley H-BEAM Rods", ARP head studs and of course new headgasket. I was curious with your question about what else would be required I asked about sleeving or block guard he stated both are not needed til 350hp, but I could do the block guard for extra security. he said the head should be soild with 300hp. Im definetly interested to see what you do. When are you planning to install?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all these singlecam 'max' limits crack me up. Dont waste your money on CP's/manley rods. A simple vitara/eagle rod combo its not only cheap, but will handle any power you want as a street car. Hell, we ran them in our race car.

hckyplya8

I am picking up everything tomorrow for a steal. So I was planning on doing it in the spring but with how warm it's been here if I get a couple days off of work I may do it soon. I just will need to take it to have the new exhaust bent up. My plan was to keep it conservative and then maybe once summer rolls around get some bigger injectors, and fuel pump and then actually build the motor and get more power out of it

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
all these singlecam 'max' limits crack me up. Dont waste your money on CP's/manley rods. A simple vitara/eagle rod combo its not only cheap, but will handle any power you want as a street car. Hell, we ran them in our race car.
I'm not super knowledgeable about the parts but he quoted me $875 for the cp/manley set up and I told to stay away from eagle. Whats the deal with that? Why would he say that? And what does a vitara/eagle set up run?
I am picking up everything tomorrow for a steal. So I was planning on doing it in the spring but with how warm it's been here if I get a couple days off of work I may do it soon. I just will need to take it to have the new exhaust bent up. My plan was to keep it conservative and then maybe once summer rolls around get some bigger injectors, and fuel pump and then actually build the motor and get more power out of it
I was gonna do that but I don't want to pay for two tunings if I switch injectors and fuel pump

hckyplya8

The ECU that comes with the kit I'm buying was already tuned so I don't care about paying to have it tuned once technically

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im in the process of my Y8 turbo build and the tuner I plan to use told me with my goal (300hp daily) that rods and pistons would be ideal. He recommended me "CP pistions" with "Manley H-BEAM Rods", ARP head studs and of course new headgasket. I was curious with your question about what else would be required I asked about sleeving or block guard he stated both are not needed til 350hp, but I could do the block guard for extra security. he said the head should be soild with 300hp. Im definetly interested to see what you do. When are you planning to install?
Your tuner doesn't sound like a very good one, of course rods and pistons are ideal for anything 220hp and sleeving the block is not needed until over 400hp. Most block guards do more damage then help from what I have read
For a daily driven car I wouldn't recommend vitaras because of there stupid low compression, If you think your civic is slow now wait till you put in those vitaras.you also need custom length rods to try to bump the compression ratio up to a reasonable ratio

Trekk

Registered VIP
Then you have to run more boost to make up for the weak motor you made. That's when people start bitching about turbo lag.

hckyplya8

With the setup I am looking to run with only head studs and about 7-10psi. Would that be safe for a DD?

Trekk

Registered VIP
On the stock motor if you don't give it a lot of throttle you can pretty much drive it w/o even going into boost. So it would be just about as reliable as staying stock. Just learn to drive off the boost gauge and keep in the Vac or around 0. If you dog the car everyday it's anyone's guess how long it will last, that's the truth about every car.