need a motor, what swaps are possible for my budget?

justanotherEJ8

5+ Year Member
lets say i had 1500 to work with, are there any motors better than a d16y8 (what im replacing) that i could swap into my car and still have a decent DD? i know its a tight budget but my motor spun a rod bearing last night and i need to get it running again.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a b16 swap can be had for $1500, does the $1500 include labor or no? Hopefully not.

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check craigs list, best place to get a good used engine. can find another d-series or b-series for least 250-600ish. or could buy a hooptie and pull the engine out then junk the car, part it out or jus use it as a parts car for urself. jus an idea

justanotherEJ8

5+ Year Member
i was hoping to be able to do most of the work myself, maybe with some help. and yeh that would have been including labor. if i got a b16 block, wouldnt i need alot of other crap too making it over my budget?

Personal

5+ Year Member
i was hoping to be able to do most of the work myself, maybe with some help. and yeh that would have been including labor. if i got a b16 block, wouldnt i need alot of other crap too making it over my budget?
It would be a lot cheaper to purchase a complete swap as opposed to purchasing everything individually. If you did you would soon realize that it'll all add up and then you would end up exceeding your budget. Plus you would want to save some money on the side for any small things you might need during the install.

justanotherEJ8

5+ Year Member
but an ls swap isnt much less than a gsr swap....atleast going by online jdm motor prices. i might have more money to work with now but i would have to wait a month or two....idk.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
"buy good, buy once."

it's worth saving for something you truly want. the feeling of regret and "i should've....." is just not worth cheaping out

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"buy good, buy once."

it's worth saving for something you truly want. the feeling of regret and "i should've....." is just not worth cheaping out
thats not necessarily true. yes, buying a quality product is never a bad move but your always going to look back on your build and find something you wish you would have done differently

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you do have a point there. i've just seen so much money wasted that i'd hate for anyone else to have to go thru that as well