Need experts to help - Please!!!

dreamin

5+ Year Member
I have a d16y8 1.6L Vtec with what appears to be bad bearings, so I need to swap out the engine. Because money is an object and I am new at this it's in my best interest to swap out with another d16y8 vtec, but am having trouble finding a good one. What I have found is a d16y7 block with a d16y8 head or a d16z6 - will either of these work and be easy to install? Will I be downgrading if I get either of these? :( Please help!

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Either of those will work just fine for you. If you get the D16Z6, youll have some crank position issues. You would want to get an obd jumper and run an obd1 computer in your car. That would probably be the easiet. If you use the y7 block with the y8 head, it should bolt right in and wire right up. Hope this helps

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just look for a short block and bolt your head and intake on it. A y7 or y8 block shouldn't set you back much.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just look for a short block and bolt your head and intake on it. A y7 or y8 block shouldn't set you back much.
Thats too much like work. lol. Anything he said that he could find would probably only set him back 200 bucks at the most.

dreamin

5+ Year Member
They're asking $350 for the d16y7/w/y8 head and $700 for the complete z6 (but this includes the tranny - which I don't need). Are these ok prices - or am I just really that new this?

dreamin

5+ Year Member
Good advice - thank you so much! =) I'll give him a call and see what he says!

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I Would Say Go With What He Says Bro Dont Let Know One Take Advantage Of You Take Advantage Of Them Lol

dreamin

5+ Year Member
I'll try to post the picture for the y7/y8 vtec set up that I'm thinking about. The guy said that it's been sitting in his garage for awhile and he knows nothing about it. He does swaps for people and said that a guy showed up with it running in his car and swapped this engine for a b series setup. He said that he pulled it into his garage and doesn't remember hearing any noises/knocking or smoking coming from it - he just thinks the guy wanted to upgrade. I know it's hard to tell from just a picture - but it looks clean to me...I am open to any and all advice

dreamin

5+ Year Member
The guy says the compression is 175 across all cylinders - is this good or bad? Would it be a good/bad buy?