Need help Fast!! idle problem after type-r mani install

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
After installing the type-r intake mani and throttle body on my b16a2 (99 si) the motor will rev to redline when cranked. the throttle is closed and the pedal is not to the floor. what would cause this?I switched the throttle bodies so all the sensors would be the originals but that still didn't work. the tps and iacv should be fine( i've read that the tps might need to be adjusted but I don't see how it got out of adjustment in the first place) all the hoses seem to be fine. Nothing is leaking either. all bolts and nuts connecting the manifold are tight( and new gasket). there's some kind of electrical plug that is hanging under the manifold that is coming from a wiring harness but I cannot figure out what it goes to. I'm pretty sure it plugs into the block or head right under the manifold. but I'm not sure. it's weird as soon as the motor turns over it just revs right up until I shut it back off :(

any help would be appreciated!!!

**cliffs**

put type-r intake mani and throttle body on my b16. everything is hooked back up fine, no leaks, but the motor will rev up like its WOT when I crank it up. i'm thinking either vaccum leak or electrical problem. there is a plug underneath manifold that i cannot figure out where it goes.

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TPS calibrated?
I'm guessing probably not?

How could I even tell ? and if it's not how do I calibrate it ? the bolts for the sensor can't be taken off by a screwdriver or socket... kind of wierd

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they're allen head if i recall correct.

and you need a volt meter to calibrate it. You just have to twist it side/side until it's set properly.

IF i recall correctly, it should be 0v @ 0% throttle, and 4.0v @ 100% throttle but that doesnt seem quite right for some reason.

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok thanks. the bolts aren't allen heads. they are like break away bolts or something. they dont have a head for anything, I was thinking about taking a dremel and cutting a slot in the bolt head to get a flathead in there. i have no clue

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well I fixed the leak. the idle is fine.

but now the car wants to over heat after a few minutes of driving. my fan isn't kicking on at all. I'm thinking that was the switch that is hanging underneath the mani.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well I fixed the leak. the idle is fine.

but now the car wants to over heat after a few minutes of driving. my fan isn't kicking on at all. I'm thinking that was the switch that is hanging underneath the mani.
Its always the stupid s**t that get's missed:lol:
Glad you got it figured out though. hows it runnin?

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its always the stupid s**t that get's missed:lol:
Glad you got it figured out though. hows it runnin?
yup! i was f**king with sensors, hoses, etc and I wasn't even close. There is a rear bracket underneath the mani supporting the rear of the mani. I guess when I pulled the stock one out, the bracket moved or something. When i installed the type-r mani the bracket was keeping it from gettting a good seal against the head.... letting air in causing it to idle high. anyways, it's running great now :thumbs up

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's exactly what I was going to say to check. For future reference, you can spray some starting fluid around your manifold where it mates the head to check for leaks. Theoretically RPM's should drop back down around idle if the fluid is being sucked in where there's a leak.

At least that's what's worked for me in the past. Glad you figured it out.

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's exactly what I was going to say to check. For future reference, you can spray some starting fluid around your manifold where it mates the head to check for leaks. Theoretically RPM's should drop back down around idle if the fluid is being sucked in where there's a leak.

At least that's what's worked for me in the past. Glad you figured it out.
Good to know! thank you

well it's running great, but now it seems to be loosing coolant somehow. since it was drained when I switched manifolds I filled it back up. been driving it two days now but i've had to fill the overflow tank each day. shouldn't the coolant level be staying the same?

SlowTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good to know! thank you

well it's running great, but now it seems to be loosing coolant somehow. since it was drained when I switched manifolds I filled it back up. been driving it two days now but i've had to fill the overflow tank each day. shouldn't the coolant level be staying the same?
Maybe it's still working some air out? Did you "burp" the system after you got the manifold back on and started filling it?

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe it's still working some air out? Did you "burp" the system after you got the manifold back on and started filling it?
maybe. I did not bleed the system so you might be right. I would think it would have worked it's way out already. I've filled the overflow tank up three times now and it still runs down:oops:

SlowTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe. I did not bleed the system so you might be right. I would think it would have worked it's way out already. I've filled the overflow tank up three times now and it still runs down:oops:
Ya, it can take a few times. Normally what I'll do is remove the cap from the radiator and fill it there to almost the top. Leave it off and start it up, when it starts running down, or "burping" the air out, I pour some more down. I just keep doing this until it no longer goes down.