need help how much hp

MidNightCivicLX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey could u guys tell me how much hp will my 97 civic lx sedan will have after i do this stuff i am onli 14 but i have loved civics since i was like 10 and i love the whole import scene well here is what im gonna do to it

Engine:1.6L SOHC engine, Jackson racing supercharger, jackson racing stage 1 boost upgrade(crank pulley,belt,boost timing controller,fuel pump,160* thermastat), jackson racing liquid intercooler system, tanabe super medalion racing spec cat-back exhaust system, aem v2 intake, aem air bypass valve, kamikaze 4-1 race header w/test pipe, nology hotwires, nology plugs, skunk2 cam gear, aem hi volume fuel rail,fluidyne performance radiator, clutch masters fx300 clutch kit, clutchmaster 2-piece aluminum flywheel

thats just the engine .... i was thinkin 200 somthin out off this engine wat u guys think ?

CoxhEd

WtF is A "CoxhEd"?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please do not Supercharge your D series.

civic_tuner_182

MINE IS FASTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont crack on d series motors...i know of a few d series motors that will blow any b series outta the water...but it is kinda pointless to build a 1.5 non-vtec motor

Listerman

CCSC #52
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic_tuner_182 said:
dont crack on d series motors...i know of a few d series motors that will blow any b series outta the water...but it is kinda pointless to build a 1.5 non-vtec motor
yah a 1.5 is pointless but he says hes got a 1.6... unless hes completely clueless about the motor.

civic_tuner_182

MINE IS FASTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he might be clueless but 1.6 is a good starting spot for some serious mods......im thinkin bout superchargin my d16

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
why get a cam gear with no aftermarket cam?

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic_tuner_182 said:
he might be clueless but 1.6 is a good starting spot for some serious mods......im thinkin bout superchargin my d16
I'm thinking of doing the same - keep me posted if you make any progress.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
dont supercharge, the gains you get will be minimal.
turbo charging is 10x better for the d series motors... s/c's suck ass for them

civic_tuner_182

MINE IS FASTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive heard that 1) cam gears arent good for vtec motors and 2) i would think that it would be pointless w/o an aftermarket cam

civic_tuner_182

MINE IS FASTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and im not jackin the thread so dont flame me, but todd, what size are ur rims

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've seen the dynos on superchargers - I wouldn't call 30 hp continuous across the power band minimal. I realize a turbocharger is more efficient and will produce higher gains at higher RPM's, but I don't take my car to the track, and as a result I rarely rev it over 4500 RPMs. Not to mention the risks you run pushing higher pressures (over 6-8 psi) on stock internals.

Edit: Some other reasons for my decision: ease of installation, salvage value of supercharger versus turbocharger, fewer (costly) miscellaneous parts needed for install, and it was chosen by Popular Mechanics for their FI Civic.

Last edited:

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
civic_tuner_182 said:
ive heard that 1) cam gears arent good for vtec motors and 2) i would think that it would be pointless w/o an aftermarket cam
why did you choose to s/c your civic? you do know that for the same or less money that a turbo kit will give you MUCH better gains right? that's usually the first thing you find out when you research this.... you have researched right?

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Todd said:
why did you choose to s/c your civic? you do know that for the same or less money that a turbo kit will give you MUCH better gains right? that's usually the first thing you find out when you research this.... you have researched right?
You know I hit the same brick wall when discussing a mini-me swap. The bandwagon will tell you not to bother, and to ditch the old motor compleltey. They always leave out some practical details. For one, I can swap a head myself, while I can NOT swap a motor myself. Hell, I can LIFT a head myself, but not a motor myself. Second, something in me does not want to just trash a perfectly good head with less than 50k miles on it.

MidNightCivicLX

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i did do my research i am getting a cam its a crower stock improvment one i choose to get a supercharger becuz im not riskin blowing the engine becuz i really dont have enough money to re-do the internals and all that..

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
steve8091 said:
You know I hit the same brick wall when discussing a mini-me swap. The bandwagon will tell you not to bother, and to ditch the old motor compleltey. They always leave out some practical details. For one, I can swap a head myself, while I can NOT swap a motor myself. Hell, I can LIFT a head myself, but not a motor myself. Second, something in me does not want to just trash a perfectly good head with less than 50k miles on it.
i'm just asking if anyone has discovered advantages of s/c'ing a d series. i know the s/c costs alot more than a turbo kit with less gains... i just see no advantage
s/c will need proper upkeep and tuning just like a turbo to keep it reliable.. s/c's really arent much more reliable than turbo's in low boost aplications... and you dont get the gains

Last edited:

steve8091

Blanned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I disagree that a fully installed SC costs more than a fully installed turbo (kit). My estimtes (Greddy TC + misc parts versus JR SC + misc parts) show it as a break even. As far as reliability, a SC is a much simpler system than a turbo, as airflow through your exhaust system is not a (direct) prerequisite of its functionality. For myself and my relatively limited experience with air systems, I imagine it would be much easier to troubleshoot and maintain.

I realize that this is a losing battle and that my opinion is in the minority. At least know that I have done my homework and that I am making an informed decision.

Listerman

CCSC #52
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
supercharge it and then play with the turbos and see what people say then. cause honestly i would JRSC before i turbo'd my d16. but my h22 swap will be all motor...

civic_tuner_182

MINE IS FASTER
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s/c'ing ur d series motor is alot more easy on the motors internalls...when u start to build internals u start to break the bank...that s**t is expensive

StanghaterCivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im turboin my 1.5 woot woot, but anyways ur doing all this 2 a four door? i wouldnt go with a supercharger but if thats wat u want more power to u. and 200 hp i dont think ull get that on a 1.6 s/c is that even possible?