Need help with Coilover Installation

Ace92028

Gold Member
So today i took apart my whole front suspension on my 2002 honda civic to install my new Ground Control Coilovers. I put everything together and was super excited to see how low my car would go! I was trying to get a 1.5 drop. Anyways i than take my car of the jacks and start to lower it. When it was completly lowered it was probably +4 inchers higher than stock! :( i most be an idiot and im not sure what i did wrong. I used the shorted springs for the front...for the stopper are you not suppost to push it all the way down on the shock thing? or you keep it at the top? I pushed mine all the way to the very bottom. Any help would be nice, i dont want to be driving with my car about 7inches off the tires haha

Ace92028

Gold Member
alright i figured it out, it was i forgot knock off that gold cap piece of s**t mother f**ker. So hope this helps if anyone runs into the same problem =)

Ace92028

Gold Member
new problem, after i got them installed, when i drive they squeek like crazy! when i turn the steering wheel they like to squeek also. Is that normal, like they just need to be breaken in or something?

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Squeak? or is it like a clicking sound? Did you do it alone?
Do you mean they squeak without running over bumps or anything just regular driving?
Mine made some clicking noises in the rear for a couple days but it went away.
Did you leave the bearing in in the front top hats?

Ace92028

Gold Member
yeah i installed it myself. it sounds like the springs are squeeking but i could be wrong. I hear it when i turn the steering wheel and on the tinyiest bumbs. Regular driving, was driving on brand new road that was super flat and still had squeeks when driving/turns. In the front i threw out the dust boot.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Id say make sure every nut and bolt is tightened and give it a couple days. But if you have a buddy around who can take a second look at the installation then have him take a look. Ive never really had any problems with my suspension other than the clicking that went away so i cant really say much. Then again mine were full coilovers...Sometimes they just need time to settle in :what:

Ace92028

Gold Member
well i decided to lubricate the bearings and that seemed to help get rid of like 75% of the squeeks. However it still squeeks! GAH!

jeremyB16a

it might be ur control arm to. It's in a diff. Possion so it might be a lil dry just give it some time it might work it's way quit. It's more agovating than nethin thoug lol

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Check the clearance between the upper part of the spring and the top mount. Your fronts are not a double wishbone suspension and the whole shock/spring assembly rotates on bearings when you turn the wheels. The rotating point at the top is between the upper mount bolts and the spring and sometimes will squeak if spring preload isn't correct.

Problem with GC Coilovers is that they are not a full coilover, so your adjustment might need to be up, especially if you are using stock shocks.

CodeName_EJ6

ASE Certified Mechanic
Check the clearance between the upper part of the spring and the top mount. Your fronts are not a double wishbone suspension and the whole shock/spring assembly rotates on bearings when you turn the wheels. The rotating point at the top is between the upper mount bolts and the spring and sometimes will squeak if spring preload isn't correct.

Problem with GC Coilovers is that they are not a full coilover, so your adjustment might need to be up, especially if you are using stock shocks.
Agree X2