Need some confirmation on a clutch/trans problem. Anyone ever had a clutch SO bad...

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'm not sure where to put this because the only real spot for "other" cars is in multimedia...

I have a 93 Acura Legend 5 speed. I bought it at an auction and was told it ran, but had transmission problems. That info came from the owner who couldn't figure it out and put it up for auction. His last straw was the hood release broke so he couldnt get the hood open and just gave up on it. He had the title, but was using a screwdriver to turn the car on as well. Sketchy I know... Anyway, I figured out how to get the hood open, swapped out the ignition, and then for the trans.. Well I slide under the car and low and behold... The clutch slave cylinder is completely unbolted and just sitting on the exhaust. So I bolt it back up, refill the clutch fluid (totally empty), put in a new battery and presto! I have a running Legend I paid $525 for.

So then I'm ready to take it around the block to test the car and ... nothing. It just revs and revs but will not move anywhere. It won't move in any gear including reverse. It's like it's stuck in neutral but I can clearly feel it engaging gears. So then I'm thinking, well hell, maybe the axels aren't installed cause i've NEVER known a clutch to slip SOOOO bad that it might as well not even be in the car. I look under the car again... Everything looks legit.

Has anyone ever heard of or had a clutch slip SOOOO bad that your car wouldn't move even an inch? I've had clutches slip before, but they'd still get the car moving even a tiny bit. I don't know what else it could be and did some quick google searching for year/make/model and clutch/trans problems but nothing comes up that's similar to my problem so.. I guess it must be the clutch :what: I just hate ordering one and then finding out it's something else.

RonJ

Banned
With the transmission in gear, does the speedometer register speed (mph) when you rev the engine despite the car not moving?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
No. Just the RPM's rising.

Did some quick searching for a new clutch kit and flywheel. OEM knock off is $500 and I can't find a flywheel to save my life right now.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I don't. Last night was the first time I heard the engine run. Never talked to the previous owner, just was told it ran but had trans problems (though they couldn't tell me exactly what they were).

RonJ

Banned
At this point, I think the speedometer doesn't work and that one of the axles is not fully inserted into the differential. Post pictures of the gap between the inner CV joint of each axle and the differential.

Alternatively, one of the axles has broken off inside the differential.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'll roll under there tomorrow. When I checked the axles, I just moved the steering wheel. I didn't actually get under the car again as I had already put my jacks away after putting the slave cylinder back on. Everything I could see though looked good but I'll double check it again tomorrow. It is odd though that it won't move AN INCH which is why I even posted this thread in the first place. I've never known a clutch to be THAT bad.

I'll be back tomorrow with more findings and pics. Thanks Ron

RonJ

Banned
Yeah, given the symptom, the first step is to rule out a popped out or broken axle. Then go from there.