need some help with info for a D15B install.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey ll, so ive decided that when i sell my truck, im going to swap the civic (currently a true 95CX)

im going to do a jdm D15B so that i have more power then i do now (almost double) and i would like to know what all i need to get, um....

QUESTIONS:

the engine is the 96-98 3 stage vtec engine, would i need to do an OBD convertion?

what all wires do i need to ad besides vtec?

sense its a D can i use all my same engine mounts?

my CX trans will fit correct?

what ECU does the D15B take?

are there any common issues that the D15B's have that i should address while the motor is out?

and obveiously anyone who has done a D15B VTEC swap your imput would be wonderful, and any tips or infor that you could give me to make things go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

the reason im going with that motor is that it double my hp from what i have now, should be the easiest swap known to hondas besides another cx motor and the money that im saving doing it instead of a ls swap im going to use to build my suspention and get a few body work / looks fixxes done on the car.

as always thanks for your time and hope to hear from you guys

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I did a little work on a civic a couple weeks ago that had a d15b w/ VTEC that was swapped from a D15b7 I think it was. Straight swap as far as mounts go. Had to run vtec wiring as you know. It used a P28 ECU (or anything chipped to p28). I do remember doing some research on the d15 and remember reading some not so awesome info about the 3 stage vtec versions. Like they were a pain for some reason?? I can't really remember. Didn't pay much attention because it didn't concern me.

Good luck though! :thumbs up

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks man, yeah im going to do more indepth research about that specific motor later after work.... i was going to try and find a 94-95 teg to buy whole so that i could do the full P&P swap to include sway bars and brakes, only problem im hitting is everything i find in my price range is automatic and im just like :(

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay so i figured out its a P08 ECU and im wondering if i have to do an OBD convertion sense mines a OBD1 95 CX and the engine/ECU is from a 96-98 VTi

Im getting a warrentied engine, with ECU and the D15B's harness for 930 plus shipping. now am i right in believing that all EG's came wired for vtec from ECU to the shock tower, but NOT past the shock tower? because if so ill spend a few bucks on a pin kit so that i can actually pin the plugs the correct way, and does anyone have any experiance with the O2 sensor requirements for those?

emerican

Registered VIP
i deleted your for sale thread for you
and honestly to me idk if that motor would be worth the swap trouble, but its your ride man

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i deleted your for sale thread for you
and honestly to me idk if that motor would be worth the swap trouble, but its your ride man
Thanks for the delete, and the only reason im going for it rather then LS at the moment is that its still doubling my HP and i still have money to fully build the suspension.

Id like to find a decent condition 94-95 5speed and do a full plug and play swap to include front and rear brakes and the OE sway bars (sense the CX didnt even come with mounting points for them) but im pretty much out of luck in my area, and the few that i have found in near by yards are all automatics.

i mean, if i manage to sell my truck to this guy tomorrow morning ill have 2800 to play with into the car, im just trying to get my best bang for my buck, if that makes sense

and i dont mind wireing i just have to know what to do, cause doing wireing is cheap, its just time consuming

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And totally random, but should i run the P08 that is for that motor or go with the USDM P28 ?? does the computer have andthing to do with the ODB situation?

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay, so i found out that if i use the P08 instead of the P28 i only have to add VTEC signal and VTEC oil pressure wires (WOOT!)

now i just need to know if the 95's came pre wired for VTEC up to the shock tower or not, anyone got links for wiring diagrams?
(currently looking on here and google)

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I believe only the Ex/Si models came with VTEC pre wired to the shock towers but I could be wrong. Either way, it's not a big deal. Right near the lower right hand battery tray there is a little hole in the firewall that can be used to route wires cleanly to the ECU. It's a piece of cake! I routed VTEC, VTEC pres, and knock to the shock towers and then ran... crap, I can't remember, through the hole near the battery tray. It's all in my build thread.

As for the P08 vs. the P28, the P08 is the correct ECU for this motor but a p28 will still make it run. Either ECU will still require VTEC wires to be routed to them. Make sure when you search for wiring diagrams you're looking for the 3 stage and not single or non.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my ride's a 92 LX sedan, so was lucky enough to have the wires already part of the harness from shock tower to ECU. I've pinned 2 wires and spliced them to the vtec plugs, so when I FINALLY finish my engine rebuild (tore down spare d15b7 bottom end, and rebuilding with d16z6 head) I can plug it right up.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Hey ll, so ive decided that when i sell my truck, im going to swap the civic (currently a true 95CX)

im going to do a jdm D15B so that i have more power then i do now (almost double) and i would like to know what all i need to get, um....

QUESTIONS:

the engine is the 96-98 3 stage vtec engine, would i need to do an OBD convertion?

what all wires do i need to ad besides vtec?

sense its a D can i use all my same engine mounts?

my CX trans will fit correct?

what ECU does the D15B take?

are there any common issues that the D15B's have that i should address while the motor is out?

and obveiously anyone who has done a D15B VTEC swap your imput would be wonderful, and any tips or infor that you could give me to make things go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

the reason im going with that motor is that it double my hp from what i have now, should be the easiest swap known to hondas besides another cx motor and the money that im saving doing it instead of a ls swap im going to use to build my suspention and get a few body work / looks fixxes done on the car.

as always thanks for your time and hope to hear from you guys
STOP EVERYTHING

youre looking to swap what comes in the 6th gen HXs? IF so you need to realize that engine is purely based on economy, and is a headache to swap even into an OBD2 6th gen. Youre looking for the regular single stage jdm d15b, the only one we dont get here in the states. That will be easier to swap and run vtec with and run a p28. Or snag a z6 on the cheap.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The 3stage is supposedly a pita to get working right...

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The 3stage is supposedly a pita to get working right...
It isnt, just alot of people dont understand what is different from the "3" stage and typical vtec. You need the 4 wire o2 sensor (like 300 bucks) and the correct ecu. Not to mention it is the least favorable head as far as performance goes, and slapping it on a say a z6 block nets like 13.5:1 compression. Its great for a mpg build though.