Need some info. Car is F***ed.

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Car is a 2002 Civic. 1.7l i think. Bought this car as a commuter for work - I drive truck (semi) so I'm barely driving the Civic as is.
Anyways, cruising down the highway last night in 5th going about 100-110 km/h and BAM white smoke behind me, CEL, oil light shortly after and a loud ticking at high RPM. I'm only about 1 km from home now so I limp it home. Oil all underneath when I went out to check this morning.
My only mechanical experience is with older mechanical injection diesel motors. I have no idea where to start on this thing. Any ideas??

TIA

stealthex

stealthex
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ypu can prob tell ya your motors toasted now u face the difficut choice...what motors next! but it kinda sounds like y7ou blew out the block or the headgasket do u see where the oils coming out of? oh and sorry to hear that man

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You probably blew something big. Oil pan gasket causing you to lose oil fast, front/rear main causing the same, oil pump gasket. There's plenty of possibilities, you more than likely have some engine damage. Check the level and condition of the oil and look around for obvious leaks.

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Just got some time here to take a better look. Rad is full and clean, oil level is low and oil is clean. There appears to be a leak somewhere on the bottom end of the engine closer to the firewall on the drivers side. Oil everywhere.
I don't have any tools where the car is so unfortunately I can lift it up to get a better look right now. I'm just trying to plan ahead. Sourcing a motor as we speak - what's the cheapest route as far as motors go? What options do I have to swap in? Sorry I'm not searching just don't really have time right now.

TIA

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Actually no oil. Got a neighbors jack and lifted it up a bit but had nothing to support it with so I couldn't get a good look.
Keep ya posted.

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Hole through the oil pan. Clean through it. I'll attach a picture here. The confusing thing is how did it drive 1-2 kms after the incident if something was able to shoot through the oil pan? Beyond me.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
there goes that rod.

time for a replacement motor, or at least a new bottom end.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
did you use penzoil?

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Yes I did actually. Problems with it?

The thing that confuses me is that the motor was only spinning at about 3000. I melted the damn rod.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
It's just that when I see that much gunk and buildup on a fairly new motor with problems, it tends to be a car running pennzoil. I'm not saying that's what caused your problem, but I seriously wouldnt rule it out either.

When you get that motor replaced, try switching to mobile1.

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Like I said in my first post I barely drove it so I just took it wherever for oil changes. I will definitely use better oil from now on.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Good call.
You should have much better luck with your next motor.

The motor I just pulled from my project civic had ~197,000 miles on it and still ran like a top.
Dont let this problem soil you on civics. You encountered the exception rather than the rule.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
another D series, or a K series from an 02-09 SI or RSX. From reading your other posts you're not owning this civic to modify it. Just to get you from point A to B? If that's the case, a D series will be much cheaper and convenient.

cghkvkjhb

5+ Year Member
Thanks!
I think I'm just going to take it to Honda and let them do what they want. Get some warranty atleast.