Need some medical advice

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I havent mentioned this yet, but a few months back when I had some bloodwork done (checking for diabetes) trying to figure out why I had so little energy and had lost a good amount of weight in a months time I also went to a chropractor for lower back pains. At the time he told me I had a pinched sciatic nerve. He told me to give it a few more weeks to see if it will go away. Well a couple weeks later the pain was all gone (that was sciatic related) so I thought nothing of it. Well about two weeks ago the pain came back, but not only pain but its a contant tensioning of muscle up and down my entire leg, and an almost exhausted feeling like I just ran up twenty flights of stairs as hard as possible. All of this in just my right leg. Anyone else have this kind of issue? What do you do, take for it? I know this isnt webMD I'm just killing time on here. FYI Ive looked at all the medical sites and some people deal with this s**t for years and say nothing helps, that scared me a little.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
Some people do deal with it for years.. sometimes its inherited thru genetics. My gpa takes a vike a day and smokes a little bud. Seems like a happy guy and he's been dealing with it for years... Good luck.

sent from my EVO eater

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I moved this to it's own thread instead of thread jacking the "what you did today" thread. It's going to turn into a discussion that has nothing to do with the original thread it was posted in...

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Be careful what you take cause it can change who you are. My brother in law (soon to be an ex brother in law) hurt his back and was given all sorts of pain killers. Now 3 years later of being on them off/on to kill the pain, I can't even hardly tell who he is anymore. He used to be a pretty nice dude. It's scary to watch family become addicts... Be careful is all i'm saying.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im a LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) for a Chiropractor. I mainly do rehab and general therapeutic work and deal with various supposed sciatic issues on a regular basis. My first suggestion is to switch chiropractors because no self-respecting Chiro would only suggest rest for anything sciatic related. If they dont offer full therapy (massage, stretching, exercise, adjustment, etc) then theyre not into really helping others.

Send me a Private Message with the following info (so others dont know your personal business) and I'll help you out.

- How long ago the pain started
- Age & Sex
- Height & Weight
- Job & regular daily activities
- previous accidents or injuries anywhere on your body (believe it or not, many seemingly unrelated issues affect areas you wouldnt believe)
- recent major changes in work, exercises, or hobbies

Sciatica simply means theres either a spinal disc issue or muscle tension somewhere thats squeezing on the sciatic nerve path, which is as thick as your thumb, and splits up as it goes down the leg. Varying pressure, depending on the location, can cause any number of radiating pain(s). Simple things such as bad regular posture can cause it. Regularly sitting on your wallet in your back pocket is another common culprit as well because sitting on it pushes into your glute and presses on the nerve while misaligning your hips and thus your spine. Such repetitive daily actions can slowly wear your body down, so years down the line is when things may begin to bother and worsen.

FYI, taking meds on a regularly means the problem was never corrected, Thats no way to live your life over something that just requires proper therapy and/or self care. Regular pain killers also damage your liver, so you mask one issue while creating another. Either you learn to take care of yourself or you medicate yourself into a grave.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Be careful what you take cause it can change who you are. My brother in law (soon to be an ex brother in law) hurt his back and was given all sorts of pain killers. Now 3 years later of being on them off/on to kill the pain, I can't even hardly tell who he is anymore. He used to be a pretty nice dude. It's scary to watch family become addicts... Be careful is all i'm saying.
Im seeing you everywhere lately, Alaska. But youre right. I hate to see this so often in the medical field: doctors not caring and literally contributing to killing people slowly. Very few medical professionals take the time to educate patients properly nowadays. Heres a tip to anyone who cares: avoid any "Pain Management" Clinics and doctors. Most of the time, people dont need meds, just proper therapy or self-care. A little known fact is that pain shots are rarely really needed. I would say at least 8 of 10 people told they need the shots really dont. Ive had patients previously under regular shots and meds come treat with me in a few weeks and never need meds or therapy again. This is no gimmick. These are medically known facts they chose to ignore for the sake of charging insurance companies for the expensive meds and procedures they bill for.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I agree with HeX in just about everything he said. While he's on the "corrector" end of it, I'm a "correctee". I herniated my L5-S1 disk (lower back) about 5 years ago. It's not usually something that just goes away, and they usually don't just get out of whack for no reason. There is usually an underlying issue that caused the problem, and that needs to be corrected before you'll feel relief.

Pain management is not what you need. More than likely, you have some sort of muscular imbalance that needs to be corrected - As HeX said, stretching of some muscles and strengthening of others. My relief came from a sports medicine doctor. He did a few different physical tests (checking flexibility / strength in various muscles) and then instantly had a workout plan for me. He gave me a few simple exercises to do on my own time, as well as a regimen to do while I was with him (to speed up the process). My pain was gone in a matter of a month.

I said good bye to him, and kept the exercise sheet. I have to continue to do a few of the exercises regularly (my issue specifically requires me to stretch my hamstrings and strengthen my inner abdominal muscles and glutes). If I slack for too long, my issue slowly comes back, at which point I get back in the swing of things, and have no more problems.

I would highly recommend visiting a sports medicine doctor, or a chiropractor that is interested in your musculature, and making you do physical therapy. I would highly recommend AGAINST going to a chiropractor who just wants to "correct" you by re-aligning your spine and calling it a day. I would also highly recommend against taking some pain pills and leaving it at that. Pain management is not a solution for something like this, which can usually be corrected with due diligence.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U guys are so smart!

Alcohol cures everything!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with HeX in just about everything he said. While he's on the "corrector" end of it, I'm a "correctee". I herniated my L5-S1 disk (lower back) about 5 years ago. It's not usually something that just goes away, and they usually don't just get out of whack for no reason. There is usually an underlying issue that caused the problem, and that needs to be corrected before you'll feel relief.

Pain management is not what you need. More than likely, you have some sort of muscular imbalance that needs to be corrected - As HeX said, stretching of some muscles and strengthening of others...............
Joe brings up the additional point of issues such as herniated or severely bulging discs, which contrary to the average doctors advise, usually require the combination of stretching, strengthening and thus realignment. Very few cases are severe enough to mandate surgical correction. Only such issues should require some form of medication to alleviate severe pain until corrective surgery is done. In "bloodshot"s case, it sounds like potential muscle tightness causing the issue. But even prolonged excessive tightness could lead to bulging (out of place) discs and worsening issues. The average person fails to realize how something so seemingly simple as tightness can lead to severe issues over time.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I appreciate the thread move, didnt mean to thread jack the What you did thread just making conversation like it seems to always do. The chiropractor I saw did offered all those things, I was the one who really wanted to wait and the pain DID stop for a few months. I will be going back there ASAP. My old man goes to the same one, never had a complaint. I do have muscle relaxers which do dull the sharp pain caused by movement, but the constant pain the is always there, well, is always there.