New alternator not charging

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
So I installed my new alternator yesterday and now its not charging at all.I made sure everything was hooked up and it was so i started the car and it doesnt charge.What could be wrong

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
yes batts are fine i unhooked them with the car running and it shut off so its something to do with the alt.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
prolly got a bad alt, it happens

RonJ

Banned
You risk damaging the electrical system by disconnecting the battery with the engine running.

Did you attach and tighten the large alternator wire? Is the alternator connector fully seated? Is the belt tight? Is 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash blown?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also check the underhood fuses. I had the main power distribution fuse blow. I thought my alternator was bad but it was the fuse causing it to not charge properly

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah i def think its a wiring or fuse issue. brand new alternators are usually tested before they go in the box, so its hard to believe that somehow it died before being installed in your car

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Rebuilt alts make it past QC. New alts get you to DQ so you can have a pumpkin pie blizzard.

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
well got the alt checked and its fine now im thinking its the wiring.Not the power going to the alt from the batt but the connector with the 4 wires.which one should i be looking at if its only reading 12.1

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
well dont really know what all fuses im looking for Ive checked the alternator sp sensor fuse,the battery fuse, and dont know what else would be related to it does anyone know what im looking for besides these fuses

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
the fuse is fine ive checked it like four times already its not that.Wel im putting the new one back on tommorow and will see if it changed and go from there.I think its the eld wire

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
I also want to say when i uninstalled the old alt i grounded out and sparked the engine bay.I blew the 80 amp battery fuse but replaced it is ther any other fuses that would be affected by me grounding it out like maybe the eld connector

RonJ

Banned
the fuse is fine ive checked it like four times already its not that.
Please don't be offended, but I have been told many times on forums that all of fuses were fine but ultimately the problem was a blown fuse. How did you check the fuse? Did you replace it with a known good fuse? In the end, fuse 15 may be fine, but you need to be absolutely sure to rule out a simple blown fuse before considering others possibilities.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i had my issue, it was with the underhood fuses, not the under-dash fuses

RonJ

Banned
when i had my issue, it was with the underhood fuses, not the under-dash fuses
There's only one fuse under the hood that is part of the charging circuit -- 80A fuse 41. If it were blown, the OP would have worse problems than a non-charging alternator.