new civic questions...

ahhitsnick

hey i had a question about getting a civic. i recently started working and my parents said i could get a car so i knew that i wanted to get a civic because I've been driving a civic since i first got my license (I've only had my license for a year) but i had some questions about it first. for one thing i don't know what year i should get. a few of my friends who have cars in the early 1990s and their cars slowly died and they needed to get new cars. i don't want that to happen to me so i was wondering if there's a good starting year for my first car. and also i max amount of miles i should get a car with. i know that civics are reliable but i don't want to get a clunker that dies after a year. so if you can help me that would be amazing thanks.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
First of all welcome to the site.

As for the car. Save up your money a bit so you'll be able to get a clean car that shouldn't have any problems. Rather then buying the first car you can afford and having it crap out on you.
If a car has been taken care of, miles shouldn't matter THAT much. A lot of the guys on the site have 5th(91-95, I think) or 6th gens (96-00), including myself. Make sure you see maintenance records and obvious signs the car has been taken care of. If a kid owns it chances are the car has been beat. In my opinion you'd be better off buying a car with zero mods on it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Decipher

Registered VIP
x2 ^

Keep an eye out for listings in the NEWSPAPER. Old people are the only ones who still know what those are, so you're more likely to find these folks posting ads in a media they are familiar with. The reason why you're looking for old folks is generally because they own cars for long periods of time(original owner), and drive like, well... old people, and they are typically very meticulous when it comes to records and maintenance, therefore the cars you get from them are in pretty good shape.

I would suggest an older vehicle. Mainly because it's your first car, you're more likely to wreck it(statistically), it's going to cost you less(for the car and for insurance), they are easier to work on, cheaper to find aftermarket parts for(especially hondas)... and to be honest, IMO they just don't build 'em like they used to. The best model years to own, again personally speaking, would be between 4th and 6th generation, in respect to civics if that's what you're leaning toward.

Welcome to the site. Good luck!

MJcivicEJ8

I'd say get a 6th gen (1996-2000). But that's only coz i own one and i really like the body styling, overall features of the cars generation. 5th gen (1992-1995) civics would be really nice too! and would definitely save you more gas than the 6th ones..

emerican

Registered VIP
I agree with decipher anwhere from 4th gen to 6th gen
I say 6th gen though since i drive one lol