New optics for one of my rifles..

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Saiga is done with the exception of finding a good surefire mount..

Saiga 7.62 X 39
ACE Stock (US Made)
Tapco Saw Pistol Grip (US Made)
ACE Internal Block (US Made)
Tapco FCG (US Made)
Surefire 15 Round Magazines (US Made) (NJ Limit)
Ultimak Gas Tube (US Made)
Ultimak Tri Rail (US Made)
Ultimak Rail covers (US Made)
Aimpoint H1 4MOA Reflex Sight (US Made)

Last edited:

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Saiga is done with the exception of finding a good surefire mount..

[image]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5149/aimpointsized.jpg[/image]

Saiga 7.62 X 39
ACE Stock (US Made)
Tapco Saw Pistol Grip (US Made)
ACE Internal Block (US Made)
Tapco FCG (US Made)
Surefire 15 Round Magazines (US Made) (NJ Limit)
Ultimak Gas Tube (US Made)
Ultimak Tri Rail (US Made)
Ultimak Rail covers (US Made)
Aimpoint H1 4MOA Reflex Sight (US Made)
fail at your own image tags lol. looks nice, id like to own a rifle someday

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its a pretty fun rifle.. for the record i fixed it before you replied... LOL

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
niceeee

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It looks like it would be a front-heavy weapon. For me, a well balanced weapon is VERY important.

I havent decided what rifle to go with. I would like an AR.....but not only does EVERYONE have them, they are pretty expensive to buy (since I would probably opt for going for a gas piston model) but the ammo isnt cheap either.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It looks like it would be a front-heavy weapon. For me, a well balanced weapon is VERY important.

I havent decided what rifle to go with. I would like an AR.....but not only does EVERYONE have them, they are pretty expensive to buy (since I would probably opt for going for a gas piston model) but the ammo isnt cheap either.
what will you use it for.. what is it's purpose..an AK series rifle will out run an AR series rifle every time.. if you are using it sub 100 yards then the 223 is a decent round.. but the 7.62x39 is better.. this is a close to 150yd weapon.. past that i use the AR10... that is good for further than i can physically shoot..

right tool for the job..

up close to mid range.. AK all day long..

reach out to targets that are FAR 200+ yards... AR series 308 or bolt gun 308...

the AK pictured is not really front heavy at all.. and is actually pretty easy to maneuver, swing, and point..

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually just picked it up sitting here.. the AK receiver is pretty heavy.. so honestly.. not front heavy at all.. with the new sight thats on it.. the older larger one WAS a little front heavy..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
what will you use it for.. what is it's purpose..an AK series rifle will out run an AR series rifle every time.. if you are using it sub 100 yards then the 223 is a decent round.. but the 7.62x39 is better.. this is a close to 150yd weapon.. past that i use the AR10... that is good for further than i can physically shoot..

right tool for the job..

up close to mid range.. AK all day long..

reach out to targets that are FAR 200+ yards... AR series 308 or bolt gun 308...

the AK pictured is not really front heavy at all.. and is actually pretty easy to maneuver, swing, and point..
Before I had my first rifle, I placed an order on a Rem 700sps in .308. Only reason why I cancelled the order was because after that, I still needed a scope, base, rings, and ammo is almost a dollar a round.

Dont have the time to look right now, but if Im not mistaken the .308 is a 7.62x51 right? I know it will be more accurate than a .223/5.56 over longer distances because its a heavier round, so at longer distances the wind doesnt effect it as much. And since its a bigger round, more force. Im sure you know all this, just letting you know I have researched rounds.

The purpose wouldnt be for much more than target practice, and then a SHTF scenario. The AR10 wouldnt be a bad rifle, but those are also pretty expensive, as is ammo. Also, if Im shooting at anything much past 100 yards, I would probably opt out of using a semi-automatic and go for the bolt action.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Before I had my first rifle, I placed an order on a Rem 700sps in .308. Only reason why I cancelled the order was because after that, I still needed a scope, base, rings, and ammo is almost a dollar a round.

Dont have the time to look right now, but if Im not mistaken the .308 is a 7.62x51 right? I know it will be more accurate than a .223/5.56 over longer distances because its a heavier round, so at longer distances the wind doesnt effect it as much. And since its a bigger round, more force. Im sure you know all this, just letting you know I have researched rounds.

The purpose wouldnt be for much more than target practice, and then a SHTF scenario. The AR10 wouldnt be a bad rifle, but those are also pretty expensive, as is ammo. Also, if Im shooting at anything much past 100 yards, I would probably opt out of using a semi-automatic and go for the bolt action.

the Remington 700 is VERY good SLOW bolt action rifle.. precision shooting for LONG distances.. VERY useful in that capacity.. the 308 (or 7.62x51) is ideal for that.... but yeah.. ALL 308 setups that are worth anything are expensive.. my AR10 probably has about $2000 into it....

My DPMS AR10

DPMS 308 16in
Bennie Cooley Compensator (Permanently Attached)
Larue Tactical Scope Mount
Leupold 3-9x40 Refinished In Flat Black
Magpul PRS Stock
Arms & Ammo Magpul Pmags (15 Round Capacity)
Harris Bipod

the main purpose this gun has is LONG range shooting.. AR series rifles are SUPER finicky so i would hesitate to lug this rifle around in a "shtf" scenario, but i DID go with the 16in barrel length so that if i WANT to use it in close range i have that option.... as it sits now.. this would be solely a reach out and touch the threat from a safe distance... I imagine it is good out to roughly 500 yards without any real hesitation.. but i plan on building a second upper (20in +) SOLELY for long distance shooting... then making this 16in upper solely a close range shooter.. so i can swap uppers based on application.. a bolt gun will get you a little further.. but i didnt want to trade off rate of fire, for reaching out past 500m.. 500 is really the max range i would ever shoot..

I had a Saiga in 223 AND 7.62x39... i opted to keep the 7.62x39, after reading a lot about the lack of penetrating power that 223 has.. granted it WILL shoot slightly more accurately than a 7.62x39 round.. the 7.62x39 rounds are not made to be marksman rounds.. they are main battle rifle rounds... my criteria for a MBR is CONSISTENT man size target hits (center mass) from 100m with irons, AND reliability.. the AK series rifle is the poster child for reliability.. they also have more mass and will crack through light cover unlike the 223.. 223 is a varmint round (coyote, fox, etc..) man is much larger than those critters.. 7.62x39 is a MILITARY MAN STOPPING round..

If you grab an AK series gun.. throw it in some mud.. drive over it.. you can then pick it up.. and it will LIKELY fire.. this is the gun i want covering my ass..

So AK series rifle.. 7.62x39 is win for a multi-purpose mid range protect your ass gun.. in the event of "shtf" I would likely shoot through all my 7.62x39 before resorting to the AR10..

If you want something fun.. that you can blast through cheap ammo with.. (Wolf 7.62x39 is about .20 a round).. use for personal defense.. and still have fun at the range.. an AK series rifle (Saiga preferably) in 7.62x39 is a great inexpensive choice.. also has TONS of aftermarket support!

sorry.. long answer..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
No dont worry about the long answer. I HAVE considered an AK platform due to the round. How much did your saiga cost?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No dont worry about the long answer. I HAVE considered an AK platform due to the round. How much did your saiga cost?
this guy is AWESOME to deal with... and has them cheap as hell..

http://www.arms-n-ammo.com/

$360 for that gun is dirt cheap.. but that is a "stock" one.. lol you will then need to convert it because the way it comes from the factory sucks.. you can do a BASIC conversion for less than $200.. OR you can get nuts with it... factoring the ENTIRE build of mine would break down something like this..

Saiga 7.62 X 39 - $400
ACE Stock (US Made) - $80
Tapco Saw Pistol Grip (US Made) - $20
ACE Internal Block (US Made) - $40
Tapco FCG (US Made) - $50
Surefire 15 Round Magazines (US Made) (NJ Limit) - $30
Ultimak Gas Tube (US Made) - $100
Ultimak Tri Rail (US Made) - $225
Ultimak Rail covers (US Made) - $44
Aimpoint H1 4MOA Reflex Sight (US Made) - $540

so roughly $1500 give or take a little.. BUT everything on that rifle is as top shelf as you can go in the AK world..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I might go for something like that. I have to keep looking, thats all I can do for now, as I dont have the money for anything like that.

Edit: NJ gun laws SUCK. And I thought that the limit for rifles was 10 rounds?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I might go for something like that. I have to keep looking, thats all I can do for now, as I dont have the money for anything like that.

Edit: NJ gun laws SUCK. And I thought that the limit for rifles was 10 rounds?

NJ has 15 round max for handgun, and rifle...

less for semi automatic shotgun..