New Project, 1991 Si

bigskyeric

Ripped off the exhaust last night and figured out why it was rattling and leaking so bad. The metal sleeve inside of the Resonator was loose and rattling around inside, so I took a metal bar and bent it so it stays in place. (No more annoying rattling, wooohooo) the big pipe,that I have pics of on here, was loose and had a big hole in it from bottoming out.(probably on a speed bump) When I put everything back together I used exhaust cement. And I took the hole in the pipe (about the size of a penny) and covered it with a piece of tin foil and exhaust cement. I folded the tin foil up into a 2 inch square then used metal wire to hold it in place. Pretty ghetto, but this is a budget ride for now, and it is hidden and did the trick. Total cost of repair about $4 in tin foil, wire, and exhaust cement. Better then the $100 the shop quoted me. Total time, about 1 hour.

bigskyeric

Had a setback today. I put on my new upper control arm/ball joint. And the shocks I bought used. The good news is the shocks ride very nice. The bad news, is my car is now 6 1/2 inches higher, in the front, then before. (looks like I'm riding a wheelie down the road) After counting the rings on the springs, the ones that were on there (and cut) only had 8 rings. Now the new ones have 12. The car road like crap before, and now it looks stupid. I want a happy medium with about 1 1/2 inches of wheel gap. Before the wheels were about 1 1/2 inches up inside the wheel wells. Now I have about 5 inches of wheel gapaphantitis. Any Suggestions? I may try cutting 1 ring and seeing if that does the trick. Trial and error. The ride will suffer a bit, but it can't be as bad as it was at 8 rings. OR! does anyone suggest cheaper spring that will drop me to about 1 1/2 inches of gap. My car has 14 inch wheels and with 75 series tires. Thanks!

bigskyeric

After reading so many horror stories about cheap springs, and cutting springs, I've decided to go a completely different route with this car. Since I live in Montana, and we have lots of dirt roads, I'm going to make my Si a rally car. I'm going to find the the matching rear shocks from the salvage yard, and put bigger tires on the car. Build a light bar for front and put 4 KC Lights across the hood. Not to mention how fun it will be in the SNOW!! We get over 400 inches here in BigSky, so the more ground clearance I have the better. You may laugh, as I will probably be the only guy on here going this route, but I will surely have MUCH more fun with it as a rally car then a low rider. What do you think???

ED90

After reading so many horror stories about cheap springs, and cutting springs, I've decided to go a completely different route with this car. Since I live in Montana, and we have lots of dirt roads, I'm going to make my Si a rally car. I'm going to find the the matching rear shocks from the salvage yard, and put bigger tires on the car. Build a light bar for front and put 4 KC Lights across the hood. Not to mention how fun it will be in the SNOW!! We get over 400 inches here in BigSky, so the more ground clearance I have the better. You may laugh, as I will probably be the only guy on here going this route, but I will surely have MUCH more fun with it as a rally car then a low rider. What do you think???
that actually sounds really cool, that would be fun
and its good to be different :thumbs up

bigskyeric

stopped by the junk yard today, and they have a fresh 91 LX with Air, and Cruise. Man, I wish I knew what it would take to get those off and put on my car. Then I looked under the hood and saw how much stuff is everywhere because of all of it. I got a new passenger visor (mine was torn) rear struts (to level out the car so I can RALLY now) and a few other things. Total was $60. My battery light has been coming on very occasionally, so I have to figure that out now. Probably has something to do with the shotty wiring the previous owner did. (he relocated the battery in the rear, and the wire runs under the car, that seems like a no-no) The stereo wires have loose/exposed ends, and one was sparking when I took the radio out today. UHHG! I noticed the rear speakers are wired with power cord wires. WOW!!!

bigskyeric

Holy crap I almost started throwing things today. My resonator has been rattling since I bought the car. I took it off a couple weeks ago and tried bending the insides to make it stop, but it started rattling again. So today I spent 6 (SIX!!) hours trying to remove the insides of the resonator. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. If I lived anywhere near society, I would have gone and bought a new one, but my location prevents such luxuries. After using pry bars, screw drivers, hammers, mallets, etc....I finally drilled a big hole in the side, rammed a steel rod through the hole, and spun the insides and pounded them into a little ball. Finally, after HOURS of such stupidity, I got the insides to come out. I REPEAT, if you ever have a rattling resonator, just buy a new one. My rear window almost suffered from my temper. As I almost through the resonator through it. Then the fun continued as I had to fix the hole I put in it. I used exhaust cement, but I am guessing, I'll be visiting the local welder to weld the hole shut. Funny how the dumbest things, that should be easy, turn out to be the hardest.

ED90

Holy crap I almost started throwing things today. My resonator has been rattling since I bought the car. I took it off a couple weeks ago and tried bending the insides to make it stop, but it started rattling again. So today I spent 6 (SIX!!) hours trying to remove the insides of the resonator. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. If I lived anywhere near society, I would have gone and bought a new one, but my location prevents such luxuries. After using pry bars, screw drivers, hammers, mallets, etc....I finally drilled a big hole in the side, rammed a steel rod through the hole, and spun the insides and pounded them into a little ball. Finally, after HOURS of such stupidity, I got the insides to come out. I REPEAT, if you ever have a rattling resonator, just buy a new one. My rear window almost suffered from my temper. As I almost through the resonator through it. Then the fun continued as I had to fix the hole I put in it. I used exhaust cement, but I am guessing, I'll be visiting the local welder to weld the hole shut. Funny how the dumbest things, that should be easy, turn out to be the hardest.
haha the heat shield on my exhaust manifold keeps rattling and it pisses me off soo much
i really need to take it off, im just too lazy lol

bigskyeric

haha the heat shield on my exhaust manifold keeps rattling and it pisses me off soo much
i really need to take it off, im just too lazy lol
Where did you get the yellow lights on your car? Is that a light cover? Looks like something that would work very well in a blizzard out here.

ED90

Where did you get the yellow lights on your car? Is that a light cover? Looks like something that would work very well in a blizzard out here.
i used stain glass paint from walmart to paint them. It makes them pretty bright

DRISSN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i vote you get some ls meshes that have been sprayed gold. it'd look tight on your car.