New to these forums and not sure where to start

codemonkey

Hey there. I"m new, and not sure where to start. I know that I want to get more performance out of it. It's a 01 Civic LX auto with 215K on it. It's stock as far as I can tell except for the k&n air intake I installed about a year ago. It still runs well except that it seems to slip a bit in second and there's a bit of a hiss (like baseballs cards hitting a spinning wheel, coming from the left back side of the engine compartment.....I'm wanting to learn hwo I can improve it or clean it up overall, get more overall miles out of it before it runs into the ground (I don't do trade ins generally). Also, just generally tune it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Even just a finger pointed in the right direction. Thanks =)

PS. I do have the haynes manual for it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know that I want to get more performance out of it. It's a 01 Civic LX auto with 215K on it. It's stock as far as I can tell except for the k&n air intake I installed about a year ago. It still runs well except that it seems to slip a bit in second and there's a bit of a hiss (like baseballs cards hitting a spinning wheel, coming from the left back side of the engine compartment
Being automatic, your budget performance options are limited & its not worth the cost to improve performance. Just concentrate on basic maintenance & repairing the tranny. You probably need a tranny fluid flush anyways so just baby it altogether.

I'm wanting to learn how I can improve it or clean it up overall, get more overall miles out of it before it runs into the ground (I don't do trade ins generally). Also, just generally tune it up.
Read through my signature link for tune-up & fuel efficiency suggestions.