New tranny. Got a question.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok I bought a used tranny from a guy on craigslist. Now he said it was from a 99 ex but when I was cleaning it up i looked at the vin and it's actually from a ej6. A 98 CX to be exact ( i ran the vin #). Now yes that does suck but I don't care about that. It's got low miles and I only paid $150. I figured oh well, My car isn't all that fast any way and i'll get better gas millage this way. Now the only thing that scares me is when i told him that my input shaft went on my old tranny he said he had that happen to his hatch. And you guessed it. he drives a 98 cx (all riced out too lol). When he was selling it he had alot of stuff for sale. when i asked why he was selling it he said it was his backup trans and just needed money really bad. He also had his buddy with him and he said he bought it from him a while back so i didnt think anything of it at first. anyway, my question is.....Is there any way to tell if this tranny has a bad input shaft without tearing it apart? I just wanna make sure before i go and have it put in just to find out it's no better then my old one.

Midnight_EG

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Done a bit of searching, found this

If the transmission makes a rattling noise that is loudest in neutral although it is always there, and the noise changes when it is put into gear but shifts well, the input shaft bearing is bad. This is the shaft in the front of the transmission; the clutch is attached to it by the splines on the shaft.

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
next time i saw his car i would check the vin and compare to the tranny

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Done a bit of searching, found this

If the transmission makes a rattling noise that is loudest in neutral although it is always there, and the noise changes when it is put into gear but shifts well, the input shaft bearing is bad. This is the shaft in the front of the transmission; the clutch is attached to it by the splines on the shaft.
lol. already knew that. Thats why i'm replacing mine. I just need to know if there is a way to tell without tearing the motor apart or putting it in. If it's bad then there is no reason to swwap the trans out because mine already does that. thanks though.

next time i saw his car i would check the vin and compare to the tranny
yeah.....he lives two hours away. me and a buddy made a road trip out there to get it. his car was a 6th gen before the body change in 99 so it had to be a 96-98. It also was a hatch and said cx on the back. now it is possible that he bought an identical tranny and then decided to swap the motor instead and then didnt need it, because he was selling other parts as well for a b-series and an h-series. the transaction was quick and painless so i didnt really care to see what he had under the hood of his hatch.