Nikon D100 - Should I get it?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know someone that wants to get rid of their D100 for pretty cheap. Now I know it's an old digital SLR and I found out it's compatible with the lenses I currently have (18-55 and 55-200 af-s dx). I know it's not a baller camera but I've always been fascinated with older SLR cameras and I've always wanted to mess around with one.

He hasn't told me what it comes with or any nitty-gritty details about it but I've checked around and even if it was just for the body, it's a great deal and it'd definitely motivate me to get back into taking pictures more often. I haven't touched my D40 and done actual work in a couple months. I'm getting lazy.

Does anyone think I should hop on this?

CDubs

Registered VIP
how much is it? i love my d100 its pretty easy to use once you learn the setting and very fun...i would defiantly hop on it

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
He's asking $150 + shipping.

(I hope nobody on here knows him lol. Even though he doesn't own a Civic. Because I REALLY REALLY want it!)

CDubs

Registered VIP
thats damn good i say get it for sure

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
didn't I tell you not to get rid of your last damn camera??

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I still have my D40. But I haven't picked it up and actually used it in months. I want to get the D100 more as a collector's item. I've always been fascinated by older SLR camera's, even if it's digital. It'd motivate me to do more photography "work".

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the D100 sucks, don't get it. You can get a D1X or D1H, which is a hell of a lot more camera, for around the same money.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I want a DSLR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD I would love a d5000

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the D100 sucks, don't get it. You can get a D1X or D1H, which is a hell of a lot more camera, for around the same money.
Can you explain "a lot more camera"? I'm new to DSLR's and don't really understand the technical features of them. I mean it's obvious the higher models have better sensors and all that jazz, but that's as far as my knowledge goes lol.

I'm not getting it in hopes that it'll be an awesome old school DSLR. I'm just getting it to own an old school DSLR. I mean I have a D40... It's not that great. It can take pretty good photos but I know it's nothing compared to higher models. Plus then I'd have to look on eBay or something and spend time trying to find one. My friend can vouch for the guy selling the D100 (it's his friend) so I know I'm not risking anything.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B&H photo sells used cameras.

The D100 would just be a sidestep from your D40. No improvement to be found.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
B&H photo sells used cameras.

The D100 would just be a sidestep from your D40. No improvement to be found.
I'm not trying to find a better old school DSLR than my D40... I just want an old school DSLR for sake of having an old school DSLR. It'd be fun to play around with and just have to use when I get bored. I eventually want to sell my D40 and upgrade to a D90 (ideally) at the very least. But that won't be for a long time since I'll be spending more than half of my income on school loans for many years :(.

i say get it. john, let me get your d40
I don't want to get rid of the D40 if I get it. Like I said, I just want an old school DSLR to play around with and that will, hopefully, get me back into photography.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your thought pattern is off. It's not cool to own an old DSLR. The camera you have now does the same things only BETTER. If you don't like shooting with the D40, you're sure as s**t not going to like the D100. I would sooner chisel images into stone than shoot with a D100.

If you like wasting money go with your current thought process.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You're still not understanding what I'm trying to get across to you lol. But to each his own.

He hasn't gotten back to me so I think he found another buyer. I gotta save my money anyways.

Paul79UF

I had a Nikon D100 with a Tamron 28-300 lens for a few years.

It's a really solid camera that takes great pics.

Find out how many clicks are on the shutter. I had to have my shutter assembly replaced after about 70,000 pictures. It was covered for free under the Mack warranty.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
He never got back to me and I ended up spending 3 times as much on getting new lenses anyways lol.

I think when I upgrade to a better DSLR, I'll just keep my D40 as a back-up.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't see a reason to get it. You haven't picked up your other nikon in months. It seems like this is a oooooo shiney purchase. I mean it's your dough so if you want it go for it, but logically it doesn't make sense.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah now that I think about it, it didn't make sense to get it. I've just wanted an older DSLR for fun.

I've been picking up my D40 a lot more lately. Put a couple hundred shots through it over the past few days. It's not a lot, but it's a lot for me considering I haven't really used it. I'll be using it even more once my 35MM AF-S comes in. Probably going to be doing some food stuff and portrait stuff on Thanksgiving when I get together with my relatives.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i love my D3000 if that helps...it would be sick to mess around with an old SLR...
The D3000 replaced the D60 which replaced the D40. They're all essentially the same camera. As far as I know, the D60 has a few upgrades from the D40 and the D3000 has a few upgrades from the D60. But they're all not far off from each other. I think the biggest difference (besides the 3" LCD vs. 2.5") between them is the 11 AF points vs. 3 AF points. I honestly don't mind the D40 only having 3 AF points. I do a lot of indoor photography and I've read the center point is the best for the best lighting.