No Pressure in Clutch

Hello,
I am sure many of you here have seen this post once or twice now. I am here to take my stab at it and get some insight.
I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7L, recently the car would not go into gear and the next day the clutch was completely dead. so, I parked it because I thought the clutch itself was bad. That was until this weekend I decided to look at it and discovered hydraulic clutch lines. Throughout my removing, replacing, and (hours now) bleeding the system I still have no pressure.

Here's what I have for you.
  • The slave cylinder will not move back and forth like it should be. it will build pressure, but it will not return.
  • Yes, I bench bled, gravity bled, and pump bled. no I didn't vacuum bleed it.
  • No, there are no visible leaks along the line.
  • i have bled all of the old fluid out so the likely hood of a blockage is low IMO.

Last edited:

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
you could possibly hone the cylinder, and rebuild it with new seals...
much easier just to replace it.
They're not expensive, and doesn't take much time.

Hello all,

I have fixed the issue. if you can't afford a battery powered vacuum pump, FIND SOMEONE. I spent about 5-9 hours trying to bleed the cylinder by hand and pumping the pedal. It took all of 45 seconds to do the bleeding.

My issue was the following:
  • Clutch pedal went completely dead after one night.
  • let it sit thinking it was actual clutch (winter was coming, did not want to mess with it).
  • Came to conclusion that it was the clutch hydraulics (researching clutch issues).
  • Tried to bleed by hand, fruitless.
  • Got a vacuum pump.
  • Vacuum pumped it, Fruitful.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
were you trying to bleed it alone? or with an assistant?

Either way, glad you got it sorted.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You can also so it with bottle of brake fluid and vacuum line. Attach vacuum line to bottle half filled with clean brake fluid. Pump the pedal and add fluid to the reservoir until all air is out of the line.

If the vehicle has ABS there may even be a bleeder on the ABS control module. If air is trapped in the abs manifold it can cause this issue.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
If the vehicle has ABS there may even be a bleeder on the ABS control module. If air is trapped in the abs manifold it can cause this issue.
Why would the clutch be connected to the ABS system? sounds like a good way to stall your car, or kill the clutch.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Why would the clutch be connected to the ABS system? sounds like a good way to stall your car, or kill the clutch.
Jesus I read this as if it was a brake problem :roll: I know it say clutch in the title too. High....just high.