O2 sensor touching body causing vibration

vtecmuscle

Hi. I have a 99 civic d16y8 and I've put an aftermarket full exhaust that consists of a 4-2-1 header, a high flow cat, and a cat back exhaust after the factory catalytic converter broke. As I expected after putting the high flow cat the Check engine light came on because there is no restriction on air flow and O2 sensor picks up everything. I've been driving with the CEL on for quite some times now but it is almost time for my emissions and I needed to get rid of the CEL in order to pass. So I did some research and found out that I can use spark plug non fouler to create an o2 sensor spacer to turn off the CEL. That's what I did and the CEL turned off. However, after putting the exhaust my o2 sensor on the high flow cat was facing towards the floor of the car and once I put the o2 sensor spacer, it is touching the body. Now the problem is all the vibration from the exhaust is transferring inside the car and I can feel it every time I press on gas. Now I understand the vibration could be good for the ladies who will be riding with me :D but since this is my daily driver it can be annoying as hell. So I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or still experiencing it. Can someone tell me how to get rid of this vibration without turning on the CEL again or getting a regular cat converter because I'm not looking forward to power loss. Your help is much appreciated.

vtecmuscle

I'm guessing no one has any idea about this that's why nobody has commented so far or may be I'm in the wrong section. If I'm in the wrong section can someone please redirect me to the correct one. Thanks

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is nothing you can really do....either cut a hole in the chassis to fit the sensor,weld a bung to move the o2 sensor, or maybe find a piece of "L" that will connect the two and will move the sensor..

Trekk

Registered VIP
Plug the hole, go to an exhaust shop, and have a new bung welded on some place else.

vtecmuscle

thanks dude I was thinking the same thing about the "L" piece idea. So I was wondering do other people also have this problem and they relocate the sensor or is it just me and the design of the exhaust? By the way 2slo4u, your civic has been my desktop wallpaper for quite some times now. Just thought you should know. Great job with your civic man.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmm so which one do you think would be easier the welding a new bung or doing the L piece idea that 2slo4u suggested?
i would personally do the welding of a new bung..never know how hot the "L" could stand..it was just an option i posted up that i've seen done, and thank you very much for the compliment =)..i have a 20x16 poster of my car on my wall :P

vtecmuscle

i would personally do the welding of a new bung..never know how hot the "L" could stand..it was just an option i posted up that i've seen done, and thank you very much for the compliment =)..i have a 20x16 poster of my car on my wall :P
nice! and thanks both of you guys.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
weapon r sells a L shaped piece of pipe that fits into the o2 sensor bung and turns off the CEL. i think its like 40 bucks.

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I ran into the same problem so I have an L shape cel fix on mine that I got from ebay for $15. works great.

emerican

Registered VIP
i have the same exhaust setup and didnt run into that problem at all 4-2-1 header/ megan high flow cat/ yonaka catback exhaust.
used 2 spark plug non foulers to take away the cel and it dosent vibrate at all.
I have friends who have had it happen to them though and they just used the L pieces they havent had any problems with them.