odometer swapping/rollback

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok ok, before anyone jumps on me let me explain a little. i have a 98 ex, and will be swappin in a gsr gauge cluster. i dont knwo what teh milage on the gsr cluster is (should have it today) but in any event, it will not be correct for my civic. now, i have searched, and have a pretty good idea how to do this. i also realize this is completely illegal (if you got caught). just some other extra info...

1) i dont ever plan on selling this car. 2) i am setting the cluster milage to my real milage on my civic, so im not tryin to falsify (sp?) anything.

do u think i would get much s**t for doing this if anyone ever found out? i am pretty sure i am going to just do it anywyas and roll back the gsr cluster (its from a 95, so its bound to have more miles than my 98 civic). but i figured i would get your opinions on this... since this part of the issue hadnt been discussed as of yet (that i could find anyways).

mods, if you think this is in the wrong forum, please move it. i figured this would be the best area for it.

DC_Project

I NEED A CAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive been wondering the same thing

98xSLVRxEK

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
iTS NOT REALLY THAT HARD i SAW A SITE A WHILE AGO THAT SHOWED YOU HOW TO DO IT BUT i CANT REMEMBER WHERE IT IS. i DID IT WHEN i SWAPPED IN MY SI CLUSTER WHAT i DID WAS TAKE OFF THE NEEDEL THEN TAKE OFF THE FACE. THERE IS A METAL BAR THAT HOLDS THE GEARS IN AT THE BOTTOM IT SHOULD PULL OUT TWARD THE BOTTOM OF THE CLUSTER THEN YOU CAN MOVE THE DIALS. ALSO WHEN YOU BUT THE NEEDEL BACK ON PLUG THE CLUSTER IN AND TURN THE CAR ON SO THAT THE NEEDLE WILL GO TO THE STRAGHT POSITION AND THEN PUT THE NEEDLE BACK ON. I DONT KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU BUT PM ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP.

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i pretty much know how to do it. thats not what i am asking. i am asking people's opinions/knowledge on the legality of rolling back mileage on a car i wont sell. im not doing it to be shady, or do anything like that. i am jsut swapping in a cluster and i want the milage to match my actual car's milage.

98xSLVRxEK

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard that you can get it done at the dealer and they give you papers that prove you did it.

PhoebeusFenix

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im going to be getting a new cluster also, hopefully a Si off of ebay b/c I really screwed up my stock one. THe prob is what i screwed up was when i was popping off the needles and i snapped the metal rod. So im kinda scared to pry off another needle but i think i could do it. See I was prying htem off with a flathead screwdriver instead of my hand b/c they hurt so much. Also, the needles i did pry off correctly arent responding correctly, i mean like when i turn on the car it tells me im goin 40mph and im idling at 3k, so man, im kinda scared.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man, juss do it. I mean like u said, ur not gonna sell, and ur not giving false info, so i think its coo....my dads a cop and hes done that s**t.....y cant u?? :D

PhoebeusFenix

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So you just pop off the faceplate for the speedo and their shoudl be somethign underneath that allows your to change it?

98xSLVRxEK

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya there is a metal bar and you pull the left side of it out and then the miles will roll.

SilverStyle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
usually they will give u a sticker that says the odom has been tampered with. Check your local DMV

Sound Streamin'

Boost or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did it to my JDM gauges when I put em in. I just kept the stock cluster and took pictures to prove the actual milage.

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
98xSLVRxEK said:
I've heard that you can get it done at the dealer and they give you papers that prove you did it.
yeah, I think that's what I would do. Even though you said that your not selling it, I would get it done at the dealership and have them document it. Just in case. That way you are covering your ASS-ets.

PhoebeusFenix

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright, at the moment, their are no gauges on ebay anyway, gosh theyre a b-itch to find arent they? Any advice on where to find one? Im not sure what ill do with the mileage, ill figure it out when i get their i guess.

artiebuco

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just got my white SI gauges for my 98ex civic, does anyone know the website that shows how to change the odometer.. (roll it up for my gauges) cuz car is older...
thanks

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say screw the man. Who really gives a damn if you change it right? And really how would anybody know unless you tell them? I can see why it is illegal but if you wanted to you could put in a cluster from a car with less miles and claim it is original, no lreal law against that, at least here. I say just do it.

Mistro

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol kinda a n00b question but you know on like the 7th gen gauges how its a digital display and not with the wormwheel rolling odometer?
http://www.pathcom.com/~u1056374/IMG_2910.jpg
^like that just with the numbers apearing there instead of those half 8s i geuss you can call them?

Where is the odometer reading on those held? the ecu? so if you swap to say another digital gauge with a digi odometer then would the same number appear on the new cluster?

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honestly mistro i dont know. i dont know 7th gen stuff that well. try postin in the 7th gen forum, i bet the peoples in there would know. this thread prolly wont get the attention of the 7th gen peopls.

00civic24

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it true that if you buy a cluster wiht extreme amount of difference between the origianl milage and the aftermarket cluster that the aftermarket cluster won't line up correctly

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
98xSLVRxEK said:
iTS NOT REALLY THAT HARD i SAW A SITE A WHILE AGO THAT SHOWED YOU HOW TO DO IT BUT i CANT REMEMBER WHERE IT IS. i DID IT WHEN i SWAPPED IN MY SI CLUSTER WHAT i DID WAS TAKE OFF THE NEEDEL THEN TAKE OFF THE FACE. THERE IS A METAL BAR THAT HOLDS THE GEARS IN AT THE BOTTOM IT SHOULD PULL OUT TWARD THE BOTTOM OF THE CLUSTER THEN YOU CAN MOVE THE DIALS. ALSO WHEN YOU BUT THE NEEDEL BACK ON PLUG THE CLUSTER IN AND TURN THE CAR ON SO THAT THE NEEDLE WILL GO TO THE STRAGHT POSITION AND THEN PUT THE NEEDLE BACK ON. I DONT KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU BUT PM ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP.
did you have to put all that in caps.....

LazyDC5

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i say roll it back to watever u want cuz when i had my dx i swapped the 92-95 Si cluster on there and jus rolled it back..i rolled mine back to what it was on my car...maybe 5-10 miles off but it didnt matter...jus do it