Oil in radiator resivoir

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not to bad i know it took me about an 2 hours to take head off. But biggest thing is you need to find out why the headgasket went in the first place. No since in replacing and happening again if you don't know the cause. Turbo? or just stock motor?

just replaced mine. pretty easy to do. take intake and exaust manafold off, take off distributer, take off valve cover, "COOL LITTLE TRICK..... mark timing belt and cam gear, loosen timing belt, slide it off the cam gear KEEP TENTION ON IT SO IT DOSENT SLIP ORFFOTHE COMPONETS!! USE BUNGE CORD TO HOLD TENTION UN TILL YOU PUT IT BACK ON. THIS WAY YOU WONT HAVE TO RESET THE TIMING" Tanke the stud bolts off. pull head! send it to a machine shop to have it resurfaced. clean any old gasket off. put on new head gasket. place head back on. now on re torqing the studs, i dont remember the spects right off (I BET RONJ DOES) you will do 3 seperate torqse on them. oile everything back up, keeping tention on the timing belt slip it back on tcam gear lining up ypur marks. replace distributer, replace valve cover, intake, and exaust. fire it up and haul ass!!

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's all stock, since I'll be in the area I may do timing bel tensioner and water pump, thanks for the info.

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it is stock I would definitely find out what caused it. Not common to blow head gaskets on stock motors. I mean it does happen but not to common.

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm when im dissasembling it what should i look for? i dont know enough and i want to know more taking this apart is a good experience. i could get a y8 swap for a decent price and tinker with this y7.