Oil Pan Tread possibly stripped

legion

digital agent
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Last time I got an oil change, the shop said that I need to get a new oil pan because the tread on my current one was stripped. Been calling around and those oil pans are pretty pricey! Supposedly you can only get them from Honda ~$250, then labor, etc...

Some places I've called said that I could get it re-treaded (re-tapped, another guy called it) and just use a bigger drain plug. Others have said that that's not a good idea and I should just replace the oil pan.

Anyone ever have this problem? Thoughts? Suggestions? They would be much appreciated.

scottyfordy

Mopar Muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Patch the hole and make a new one.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine stripped out a couple years ago, I actually went to the autoparts store and bought a longer plug bolt and it's worked fine ever since...it's even one of those magnetic tipped ones.

mugen_tuned

4G63-T
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have two economical choices, one would be take it to a machine shop and have em weld the tread and then tap in the new tread to oem spec, two would be tap in a different tread over the oem tread and use a different bolt in matching diameter and tread pattern. or you can go with gabebauman's suggestion, i dont think anything would go wrong with that but im always one to fix something to original specs, its my curse and i cant help it, lol.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
another option may be just to buy a new oil pan, i just did that recently.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
moroso would be a great upgrade if you need to replace the pan, i think that may be the best option.