Omgz!!! Some haxor stole the gen specific sections!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK since this has been asked a couple of times let just try to go over it...

"what engine should I put in my 98 EX"
could go in "Engine tech" OR "6th gen"

"will these wheels fit my 5th gen?"
could go in "wheels tires suspension" OR "5th gen"

"hey why isn't there a generation specific section for my 1979 Honda Civic Hatch"

and so on.. the point being there was never really a need for generation specific tech sections.. the ONLY useful roll they could have played is answering questions that were EXCLUSIVE to that generation and didn't fit anywhere else.. those questions are few and far between.. further people had a tendency to stay in the generation section that was the same as the car they drove.. this limited the exchange of information...

By bringing all the sections together and dividing things SOLELY based on the TYPE of "tech" it is instead of the generation will hopefully bring more users together and stimulate discussion.. It should also simplify the posting process for users in reference to deciding where is appropriate to post.. we gave this a LOT of thought prior to going through with it, and feel it will only help the site in the long run..

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but i dont wanna help the 6th gen guys out, only the 16 year olds in the 5th gen forum asking the same 3 questions

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
zomg its an amazing feature how long we had that for?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For the ENTIRE existence of the site... ;)

be honest.. did you click it.. LOL
:oops: I fell for it...

Said that log out attempt failed though?

About the topic though. I didn't like it at first. I really didn't. It is kind of growing on me though. I get the reasoning behind it and it does reduce the clutter.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup i clicked it, (thats why i posted such a great reaction) my hope was that it became a trap for n00bzorz

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i don't think it was a good idea to get rid of the generations because different years different parts and problems . now everything will be jumbled together.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i don't think it was a good idea to get rid of the generations because different years different parts and problems . now everything will be jumbled together.
it will not be any more jumbled together than it already was.. here... let me show you..

there were literally THOUSANDS of threads in the gen sections..

lets say that your engine overheats..

as of today.. you post and or search in the engine tech section.. amongst people who KNOW about ENGINE stuff, and your answer MIGHT be mixed in with a bunch of threads about engines...

as of 5 days ago.. you post and or search in the xth gen tech section.. amongst people who KNOW about random stuff relating to a certain generation, your answer MIGHT be mixed in with a bunch of threads about suspension, what lip to get, what wheels look good, and so on...

all in all the first scenario appears far more organized to me... because you are posting and participating in a section that is exclusive to the workings of an engine, as opposed to a random mix match of things only tied together by the sheer fact of model year..

MOST of our Honda stuff crosses the boundaries of generation.. and in many cases even dips into Acura stuff (engines, ecus, transmissions, some suspension, and so on)

trust me.. it may not make sense.. but this will end up being far more organized and fluid.. and will hopefully get more members participating in each others threads..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Enlighten me.....which generation has a part that is TOTALLY different from every other generation?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also if you notice when most people ask a question they don't give a specific year it gets confusing without the specific gen for instance whay brand camber kit should i get ?? if it was in the 7th gen you could give multiple ansers because you know whats out there for 7th gens. vj lets see 6th gen double wishbone 7th gen mcpherson. 2001 civic 14mm crash bolts 2003 civic 16mm crash bolts etc etc.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there are TONS of parts that are EXCLUSIVE to certain generations literally TONS.. but that doesnt mean that talking about suspension in the suspension section doesnt make sense.. lol we WILL be adding some sub sections as we go along to address some more of the specific stuff... and I DO understand it is particularly harder for later generations as they are so different from the younger generations.. but the idea is to get people helping out everyone.. and having a more fluid exchange of ideas.. I KNOW that MANY people just stuck to the gen they knew best and this hurt others because it reduced the amount of info they were exposed to..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Also that is what the new tag system is for. We will be asking members to tag their threads with what generation it pertains to.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for what its worth members seem to already get it.. I see a lot of the newer posts INCLUDE what car they are talking about!

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Aww its okay. You can hold hands with lowlife9 for some comfort :lol:

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Aww its okay. You can hold hands with lowlife9 for some comfort :lol:
We're having issues in the relationship at the moment. He don't like SG and I do. I dunno how to deal with this. We'll try and work it out though.

:lol:

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its all about compromise and sacrifice but i don't know maybe we should see other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.