overheating help

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I always go OEM......Click...You can go AutoZone if you want..... Might as well change the bolts...

1993DX

can someone explain the how to put the timing belt back on the head without removing it or having to re do the timing
1) Set the #1 cylinder to TDC. (cam gear will have "UP" pointing up, the hash marks on the cam gear will be aligned with the top edge of the head, the rotor will point at the #1 spark plug wire, and the #1 piston will be all the way up)

2) Mark the timing belt / cam gear teeth orientation so when you reinstall the belt you're putting it back on the exact same way you took it off (a small amount of white out works great).

3) Half way down the lower timing belt cover is a hole plug. Pop it out to expose the tensioner bolt.

4) Loosen the tensioner bolt (14mm) about a half turn (don't remove it!!).

5) Use a long screw driver (with the tip wrapped in electrical tape) to push the tensioner down just enough to be able to slip the timing belt off the cam gear.

6) Re-tighten the tensioner bolt.

To re-install the timing belt: As long as you didn't move the crank pulley, cam gear, or move the timing belt around a whole lot, you should be able to loosen the tensioner bolt up and slip the belt back on the exact same way it came off, using the exact same process used to remove it.

To re-tension the timing belt:

1) Put the timing belt back on as described.

2) With the tensioner bolt still loose, rotate the crank pulley about an 1/8th to 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE.

3) Re-tighten the tensioner bolt.

4) Rotate the crank a couple full revolutions COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and set the #1 cylinder at TDC again.

5) Check to make sure the timing marks are aligned properly, if they are you're all done.
- Note: Your markings on the timing belt may not align with the markings on the cam gear after this.

If anything doesn't make sense just ask and I'll further clarify.

madmike91

is there a better hg for another d-series motor than the b7 or are they all the same

1993DX

I don't know what's compatible from year to year, there are high compression hg's that are a little thinner... But that's getting into a whole other ball game.

As far as quality goes, both the one's I did were Felpro, which are pretty decent. I don't know what else to tell you on that though.

madmike91

okay need help got everything off but timing belt and exhaust i been trying to loosen the tenior but cant get any techniques also unbolted exhaust manifold but wont come off need help really bad cause im getting pissed to the point ima sell the car for $500

1993DX

Yes, Felpro hg at Autozone.. Like I said doing a hg isn't necessarily expensive, it's time consuming.

At the end of the exhaust manifold there is a support bracket bolted to the block, did you remove it as well? Also, the manifold needs to be unbolted from the rest of the exhaust too. If the manifold is just frozen on the studs then soak them in penetrating oil or WD40 for a while. Keep in mind that the head CAN be removed with the exhaust manifold still attached.

For the tensioner: You can't loosen the bolt, or you can't push the tensioner down to create slack?

The tensioner needs to be pushed down at about a 45 degree angle towards the firewall, not straight down. You'll need hold it down while you slip the timing belt off. It may still seem tight-ish when you go to slip it off, but if you can get the timing belt to move it is loose enough to slip all the way off.. just give the tensioner an extra little umph as you do it. Also try loosening the bolt another 1/4 turn first. I used a long screw driver with the tip wrapped in electrical tape to push on the tensioner.

If you simply can't loosen the bolt... Well it is tight and there is really only room for a 1/4" socket and ratchet, so it is a pain in the ass. Point the ratchet handle towards the firewall and pull up. If you can't get it that way then point the ratchet handle towards the front of the car and push down. You may have to play around with positioning till you can get enough leverage on it. Try a small cheater pipe or socket and extension on the end of the ratchet handle for some more leverage.

Just don't give up!!

Paul2281

Stuart Racing
I kid ask me once why can`t he just lift the head a couple of inch`s and slide the old head gasket out and then slide a new one in and bolt the head back down.....I bout busted a nut laughing my ass off.....But he was serious....

madmike91

ive tried all kinds of positions none seemed to work i tried a breaker bar and everything its that the ratchet keeps falling off

1993DX

Hold the head of the ratchet in place with your hand if you can fit it down there..

Check to see that it's actually a 14mm bolt too. Yours may be different from what mine was.

You can also try from the bottom, just take off the wheel and the splash guard.

madmike91

well theres not enough room for my hand and the splash guard is to low from the bolt but yeah its a 14mm

ll0SCRAPPY0ll

I kid ask me once why can`t he just lift the head a couple of inch`s and slide the old head gasket out and then slide a new one in and bolt the head back down.....I bout busted a nut laughing my ass off.....But he was serious....
I did that to my old civic lol then I sold it.

1993DX

well theres not enough room for my hand and the splash guard is to low from the bolt but yeah its a 14mm
Wow.. Mine came off using only a 1/4" stubby ratchet.

Well if it keeps coming unseated then use a pry bar, long screw driver, or anything that is long and stout to apply pressure to the head of the ratchet while you loosen it. Really you only need to hold it in place long enough to break it loose...

Other than that you may need to take off the other accessory belts for more room, or just go ahead and take everything off and pull the lower timing belt cover.

Lol, or just force your hands down there and just get it done. It'll only hurt for a few seconds. :D

1993DX

Also, What kind of socket are you using? A 6 or 12 point? A 6 point socket will stay seated better as it has more contact with the bolt. Use the shallowest socket you can find too, it'll give you more room for your hands.

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You might also try using a Flex Head Ratchet....

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
for some odd ass reason the bleed bolt on my civic is missing and the hole is plugged huh......