oxidized paint - any help?

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my brother in law has a 96 2-door, black, with some oxidation on his roof (and a small portion on the trunk/hood)...it doesnt look TOO horrible, but more-so like the sun has slowly eaten away the clear coat, to where his black paint looks real flat....

aside from getting it re-cleared (which he doesnt exactly want to do at this point in time) is there any at-home process to help the situation? anything along the lines of rubbing compounds/waxes?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
where's amy...

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have the same prob on the wifes car, i was thinking of getting a can of clear and spraying over it, but havent done it yet.

survivorX

5+ Year Member
i had the same problem with my last truck. i tried rubbing compound and wax. the next thing i was going to try was just stripping it own and using a black primer on it until i could get it repainted but i traded it in for my civic. but the compound and wax clears it up for about a week

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to detail... i can honestly say.. if your paint is bad enough to where the clear has come off, you might as well save your pennies for new paint. Nothing is going to bring back a finish except a painter.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my brother in law has a 96 2-door, black, with some oxidation on his roof (and a small portion on the trunk/hood)...it doesnt look TOO horrible, but more-so like the sun has slowly eaten away the clear coat, to where his black paint looks real flat....

aside from getting it re-cleared (which he doesnt exactly want to do at this point in time) is there any at-home process to help the situation? anything along the lines of rubbing compounds/waxes?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Unfortunately there is no quick at-home fix.
i have the same prob on the wifes car, i was thinking of getting a can of clear and spraying over it, but havent done it yet.
If anything this will only make it look worse.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ thanks for the heads up guys...i'll let him know :thumbup: