P/S Rack

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's up everyone...

So I am doing a shave to my bay, Debating on P/S and A/c... A/c is obvious just ditch it...

My concern is P/S... I have read some threads about people leaning to ditch it and some say keep it. Well I want to ditch it, but also want to get a replacement MANUAL Rack, due to the gearing to make it a better set up and not have to block off hoses....

Car:
1998 Honda Civic DX
2 DR Coupe
B18b1 (not that it matters)

What car do I get a manual rack from? Ie: What yr Civic.... What will bolt up and where the hell to find one lol...

Any help would be of great value...
Who has done this?:cool:

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i say just loop the system and have a breather tank for it... it will keep your quicker ratio rack.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say just loop the system and have a breather tank for it... it will keep your quicker ratio rack.
The problem with that is that it then is harder to turn and such when it is parked or going really slow.... Where as if I do a manual rack it should be a bit better.... My buddy did his AWD TSi and he swapped to a manual rack due to the gearing....

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The problem with that is that it then is harder to turn and such when it is parked or going really slow.... Where as if I do a manual rack it should be a bit better.... My buddy did his AWD TSi and he swapped to a manual rack due to the gearing....
my rack is looped and its no harder to turn then a manual rack.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The problem with that is that it then is harder to turn and such when it is parked or going really slow
hahahah. "as you may now be presently fully aware of, My grammer sucks". (adam west)

dude i have heard of the steering racks being just about the same when you loop it and use like a old clutch res. But its going to be a little tricky regardless.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hahahah. "as you may now be presently fully aware of, My grammer sucks". (adam west)

dude i have heard of the steering racks being just about the same when you loop it and use like a old clutch res. But its going to be a little tricky regardless.
LOL Its all good bro! =) I don't judge ha ha... So here is my question if anyone knows, HOW the hell do you loop it and add a breather? I mean if I am going to ditch the P/S I don't want an ugly ass clutch reservoir lol... I would just keep P/S IF I did that, unless there is a good place to hide this tank?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its a toss up in my book.

i think p/s is pointless in such a light vehicle, but for racing and autocross and such, u want that steering advantage...

so it all depends on what ur building the car for

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its a toss up in my book.

i think p/s is pointless in such a light vehicle, but for racing and autocross and such, u want that steering advantage...

so it all depends on what ur building the car for
I remember having an old Bug, NO P/S of course, and I don't remember it ever being an issue...

The car is being built for the 1/4 mile... I love to do car shows and Bandimere Speedway.... No Autocross, never done it?? Don't even think that there is a track here or events, you know of any man?

Also I do some cruising, would take it to work on nice days... But other than that, it doesn't see the road more than the summer and at that ONLY a few places...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there used to be a track in commerce city...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
around the corner from the dog track by the convenience store..

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
around the corner from the dog track by the convenience store..
Yeah I think I know what your talking about, they used it all the time for the "new car" events, so you could go test new cars and s**t... Had Dirt hills and such... But didn't know it was ever used as a track! .. Hmmm... Well I think I am leaning towards ditching it... But still want to know if a Manual rack will bolt up from other yrs? Like from an EG or something?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it should man. thats what im doing on my mazda.

just get the same year non p/s box..

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it should man. thats what im doing on my mazda.

just get the same year non p/s box..
Well found them at Advance Refurb for 195.00... Found em on Ebay for about the same... But never saw a 96-00 Civic with manual rack so not sure if a junk yard will have one....

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well don't quote me but I think I heard of somebody taking a 3 way valve, one going to the inlet and one to the outlet of the steering rack then the other goes to the rezzy. I'm pretty sure that's how they did it. Anybody else ever here of that???

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take a pic of your rack and ill tell you how to loop it. i need a shot of where the lines go into it.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take a pic of your rack and ill tell you how to loop it. i need a shot of where the lines go into it.
You take a picture of your RACK you perv!!!

LOL JK I had to bro...

So I will take a pic today after work..... Lucky me the engine is out, should be easy lol...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should have 2 or 3 lines going to the rack... mine had 3.
here are some photos of my loop.