P28 ECU on D16Y8, do you have this setup?

xelloss

5+ Year Member
I've just got a stock P28 5 speed to replace my P2P on my D16Y8 motor (M/T). However, I can tell the car picks up even slower, not that sensitive. also, it's kinda too rich, i can hear quite a bit backfire going on, which I don't have that problem with the P2P.

Does anyone have the same setup as mine? running a P28 on the Y8 ? I want some real user experience.
Otherwise I will just sell it or get rid of it...I won't do any mod on it..it's too much money involve and too time consuming....

Thanks guys..

kikidawn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I done that before, but the ecu was chipped for turbo though.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you have it tuned for the y8? the p28 is actually the ecu you WANT to be running. i have a p2p on my mini me and i need a p28. i'll buy yours if you don't want it for some dumb reason. lol

xelloss

5+ Year Member
ha ha...well, I will keep it for a while, see my friend can do anything for me, he said it has to be re-mapped before use...otherwise, your car's acceleration will be kinda weird.

I didn't know that before, but ppl say the P28 makes more power than my P2P, at the same time (lucky me) I just got the ecu off from a friend's crashed 93 stock civic si for a very cheap price (($50CAD..ha ha ha))........so I will try have a remap, and see how does it go first....

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you have no clue what your doing. why would you run a obd1 ecu on a obd2 car for no reason? people use a p28 becaus they can use it with hondata, crome, uberdata...etc... without it being tuned...your going to cause more harm than good. the timing is off, wrong fuel, etc.

xelloss

5+ Year Member
but what about re-mapping the ECU with a D16Y8 basemap?
Does it do any good? Will it run exactly as same as the P2P?
Any effect to the performance (good or bad)? I don't expect any power gain, just stay as same as my P2P is good enough.

The main reason I swap the P28, is because my 4 door's chassis do not support fuel tank pressure sensor, which makes the CEL lighting up at all time. With that problem, in case the engine has some real problems, I cannot tell, since the CEL is already on all the time....

The only think i can do to fix that, is using the P28 ecu, which does not look for that fuel tank sensor...
I don't need that P28 if the CEL problem doesn't exist....

What I wanna do is, remain the exact performance of the P2P, but on the P28 ECU...

If anyone has other idea to fix or bypass the fuel tank pressure sensor signal with my original P2P, please do let me know, i'm really appreciate that...thanks guys

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want to keep a p28 ecu but stay with the obd 2 let me know. I have the obd2 p28 out of my del sol that had a Y8 in it from the factory. Its a virgin ecu. pm me if you may be interested

xelloss

5+ Year Member
thank you for your offer SleepingSol. However, I've already have a P28 sitting on my desk now, I dont think I will get another one. I may just do a re-map a Y8 basemap on it.

The only think I wanna know before I spend more money on the ecu to do the remap...anyone can tell me would the performance being affected?? would it be even worse than the stock P2P?

Honisoto_69

I
5+ Year Member
I will keep bumping until I get an answer too...I am having this same problem right now and no one wants to answer at alll.....but yeahh bump...

xelloss

5+ Year Member
bump...anyone? need some help please...i do believe some of you guys will have the answer...

any help is good...

thx a bunch

xelloss

5+ Year Member
well, to somebody or most of you guys will think that I'm just wasting the P28, if i'm doing that setup (map the P28 with a stock P2P mapping). My point of doing this, is not for power or anything, it is because the P28 will not look for the "fuel tank pressure sensor", so I can get rid of the CEL always ON problem, to have the CEL working correctly; On the other hand, is to make sure I can pass the emission if I do a such ecu mapping, if it won't pass, the P28 is just useless to me. There are just 2 things I want to achieve. I won't chip it , won't hondata it or anything....

Hope that will make my questions more clear and someone can kindly give me some input....thanks guys

gtoman_05

Yah Its Orange
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How do u tune a P28 and how do u chip it, i want to use Hondata.... my bad for the noob questions, but i dont know much bout ECU's.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you have it tuned for the y8? the p28 is actually the ecu you WANT to be running. i have a p2p on my mini me and i need a p28. i'll buy yours if you don't want it for some dumb reason. lol
hey there :naughty:

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, to somebody or most of you guys will think that I'm just wasting the P28, if i'm doing that setup (map the P28 with a stock P2P mapping). My point of doing this, is not for power or anything, it is because the P28 will not look for the "fuel tank pressure sensor", so I can get rid of the CEL always ON problem, to have the CEL working correctly; On the other hand, is to make sure I can pass the emission if I do a such ecu mapping, if it won't pass, the P28 is just useless to me. There are just 2 things I want to achieve. I won't chip it , won't hondata it or anything....

Hope that will make my questions more clear and someone can kindly give me some input....thanks guys
you have to use some sort of tuning software to 're-map it' this means you have to chip it and run a program like hondata, crome, uberdata, aem ems, etc..

xelloss

5+ Year Member
you have to use some sort of tuning software to 're-map it' this means you have to chip it and run a program like hondata, crome, uberdata, aem ems, etc..
ya...I figured that out from a friendly tuning shop. I won't spend that much to get a EMS, Hondata or something, since I don't crazy mod my car...i'm a handling major kinda guy :suprise: as long as the car is not damn crazy slow, i'm ok with it.

I sold the P28 already with the same price as i bought it. someone wants it quickly...it's really a hot item man...