p2p ecu help

smocha77

always better marinated
can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between an auto and a manual p2p ecu? the one i bought has pins in all four locations(a,b,c,and d). the kid i bought it from swears that it came out of a manual, but that it was a part out, so someone could have switched it prior. the one i have is coded p2p-a83. car starts and runs fine but im not feelin the vtec kick and cel wont shut off. the codes im getting are 700(generic transmission system failure) and 1758 (automatic transaxle) which also leads me to believe its an auto ecu. does the "a" in a83 mean auto?

background info: its a 98 cx w/ mini-me, megan headers and exhaust and aem intake. ive googled my fingers sore and nothing on wiki either. if anyone with a manual 96-98 could peek in thier kick panel and tell me the ecu # that would be sooooo helpful. or a good link to ecu codes, i just cant find it.

I'll put up some pics when I'm really done, and thanks for the help!

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Funny. I got mine sitting right next to me. Mine is P2P-a12. And this came out of my manual ek.

smocha77

always better marinated
thanks for the reply but i think that your car is a 2000 right? those are obd2b and may not be the same. Anyone with an obd2a?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hahaha oops. I totally read over that. Sorry, I tried.

smocha77

always better marinated
thanks for the reply, i found that site a few days ago but im still confused about the last three digit code.

from hondata:
"The last 3 characters are broken down into 3 parts. "A" generally is used for US ECUs. "G" is European, and "J" is Japanese. There are other versions of this, but you get the idea. The second digit "0" typically means manual transmission, where a "5" means automatic transmission, and the last digit "1" is the version number."

so heres my confusion-
p2p-a12=99 ex manual obd2b---------came w y8 top end
p2p-a83=98 ex manual obd2a---------bought under false pretense, told it was manual
p2e-l32=98 ex manual obd2a non vtec-------was the original
as you can see the last three digit codes on these ecu don't have a zero or a five as the write up says. i know it says "typically" but its not very specific. the good news is i think ive located a 5 speed part out with the correct ecu and i may be able to try it out later tonite. still, anyone who could peek at thier 96-98 manual vtec ecu and shoot me the numbers would be rewarded with loving praise and affection, the kind reserved for that new christmas puppy.

probably should have put this info in my op. got traction i do appreciate your helpful nature its what sets this forum apart.
thanks guys

smocha77

always better marinated
found my own answer, just wanted to post it for anyone else who may need it.
from honda-tech
"honda made 33 different versions of the P2P ECU.
the following are the ones to be concerned about.

A01 - 96 sedan manual
A03 - 97 sedan manual
A12 - 99-00 coupe/sedan manual
A31 - 96 coupe manual (replaced with A33)
A33 - 96-97 coupe/sedan manual
A34 - 98 coupe/sedan manual
A71 - 96 sedan auto
A73 - 97 sedan auto
A83 - 96-97 coupe/sedan auto
A84 - 98 coupe/sedan auto
A92 - 99-00 coupe/sedan auto

what are the differences?
are the differences enough to be worried about?
no idea.
(other than OBD2a/OBD2b, and auto/manual that is)

you will notice that some have multiple versions in the same year, honda loves doing that. no idea which came first... "

RonJ

Banned
I'm coming into this thread late, but a quick Google search on P2P A83 ECU would have quickly revealed it as being for an auto transmission.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm coming into this thread late, but a quick Google search on P2P A83 ECU would have quickly revealed it as being for an auto transmission.
captain obvious

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you really should convert to obd1 and run a chipped ecu and get the car tuned