passing the smog test

cuetip

Registered VIP
ok im planning on moving to cali with my cousin, and i was wondering if you guys have a trick to where u can pass the smog test besides me buying a cat

emerican

Registered VIP
Besides going to a shady emmisons place that will pass you for money only way to pass is to do it correctly.

emerican

Registered VIP
Problem is finding one because if they dont know you they prolly wont just volunterr to pass you. People also dont like telling other people about the shops that do it for them in fear of lossing the shop.

RonJ

Banned
In the end, the illegal smog tests will cost more than a catalytic converter. Just do it right.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In the end, the illegal smog tests will cost more than a catalytic converter. Just do it right.
This man speaks the truth.

Cheating and cutting corners only hurts you in the end.

cuetip

Registered VIP
thats what i figured, just dont understand why cali is like that when probably the air isnt that clean

kozy6871

thats what i figured, just dont understand why cali is like that when probably the air isnt that clean
The California is the states sacred cow for revenue. It has little to do with air quality (those that live there, or have been there, know this), and more to do with raiding people's wallets.

Although the laws have changed, once upon a time, you had to pay extra (smog impact fee) if you tried to register a vehicle from outside of California with only an EPA emissions tag on it, even if it passed California regulations.

Bottom line is, just fix your s**t the way it cam from the factory, and then when you get your cert., put it back the way you want it, and don't get caught, because the cops have been know to roll people, just to check to make sure the CARB sticker is on your performance parts.

I don't live there anymore, but I lived in Southern California on and off for 15 years and owned a couple of cars that were purchased in other states.

RonJ

Banned
It has little to do with air quality (those that live there, or have been there, know this)
Seriously? I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. I was born and raised in L.A. and continue to make regular family visits there. Without doubt, L.A. air quality steadily and dramatically improved after emissions standards were instituted.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^truth, California is trying to lower our emissions and as much as I hate most of their less necessary laws like headers cai/sri's need to be carb legal a lot of those laws have helped. Just buy a cat, I passed smog dith a d15b7 with a blown headgasket, a d16y7 with a leaky headgasket, and a b18c1 with usdm itr pistons untuned. It's not that hard for hondas.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Serious I was surprised myself haha. They ran my GSR twice that day cuz it barely didn't pass one of the tests the first time, forgot which one, I wanna say the HC's but yeah they all passed lol. All with original 15ish year old oem cats with over 150k miles too haha