Phone/Email help?

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just got a new phone, and for the life of me can't figure out how to get it to sync to my email/calendar.
The phone is a Samsung Blackjack (thanks fventure03) running Winblows Moblie 5.0
Email suite is Mozilla Thunderbird and calendar is currently running Mozilla Sunbird.

I know the phone and software included can sync with Outlook stupid easy, I would prefer not to have to reset my T-bird and import everything over to Outlook because I can't stand using outlook.

I found a Java program called FinchSync- http://www.finchsync.com, It says it can do what I want, but I have no idea how to configure it to work. Once it starting talking java and script codes, I got lost.
My phone connects to the computer using the USB cable, and IF I have to I can connect to the internet with it, but not from this location, I would have to drive 10mins because the cell service out here is s**t. The computer connects to the internet using a wireless card and my neighbors wireless route, therefore I do not have access to server settings.

Any one make any sense of this and want to help a n00b out?

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
stealing net are ya, lol, oh wait nevermind, so am i:shock:

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealing net are ya, lol, oh wait nevermind, so am i:shock:
HAHAHA you know it...

Not sure if it matters but I have a 1gig Micro SD card for the phone too, Ive had no problems geting music in it, the phone has Winblows Media built in, is there a way to run iTunes on it?

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Once it starting talking java and script codes, I got lost.
My phone connects to the computer using the USB cable, and IF I have to I can connect to the internet with it, but not from this location, I would have to drive 10mins because the cell service out here is s**t. The computer connects to the internet using a wireless card and my neighbors wireless route, therefore I do not have access to server settings.

Any one make any sense of this and want to help a n00b out?
That's pretty much why I went with blackberry. Its quasi-push email capabilities are seamless and awesome. Any email you get to any account (up to 10 accounts) is pulled to the phone automatically in no more than a few minutes. Setup is as simple as putting in your email address and password on your BB. So I can't help with your problem except to say that if email is the most important thing for you, you might want to switch to a BB.

A funny side note: I just got to my deer camp in the middle of nowhere and I am actually getting a bar of service with T-mo (no other carrier has ever had any service out here). I'm actually typing this on my macbook using my BB Pearl as a bluetooth modem lol. --which was also extremely simple to setup

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah I COULD just set up the email account and get the messages downloaded to the phone just as easy as a blackberry.... BUT then I would lose all my contacts, calendar and stuff from T-bird.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oh

you win.

Are you getting any error codes..?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
syncing with thunderbird is tricky
finchsync is really the best way to do it, sadly, because it's a PITA

mozilla is supposed to be developing an extension that allows it to sync, but as you can see, they're taking their sweet ass time with development
http://pocketpcsync.mozdev.org/

and here's a walk through on setting up finchsync
http://www.finchsync.com/docu_server.html

you might just have to bite the bullet if you cant get it set up

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
syncing with thunderbird is tricky
finchsync is really the best way to do it, sadly, because it's a PITA

mozilla is supposed to be developing an extension that allows it to sync, but as you can see, they're taking their sweet ass time with development
http://pocketpcsync.mozdev.org/
Awesome, thanks for the link Todd

Can you help me setup finchsync? It wants a port number and all kinds of info that confuses me..

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i added another link to my post that should be able to walk you through the setup :mrgreen: