Please help - 2.2 I-CTDI can't locate knock sensor

TS99

Greetings all,

My first post here, I've signed up as I need help locating the knock sensor on my I-CTDI 2.2 diesel 2009 civic.

The Haynes manual only says that for ALL 8th gen models the sensor is behind the inlet manifold in plain sight. However it is not. And it's not anywhere nearby as far as I can see.

What's more, I can find absolutely zero info/threads/videos about knock sensors on diesel civics, total zilch. Not one mention. Which leads me to the question - do they even have knock sensors?! But they must, as the car has been throwing up the error code for faulty knock sensor and the car is displaying all of the appropriate symptoms (engine light, limp performance).

Please, if anybody has experience of the I-CTDI engine, have you located the knock sensor?

Thanks so much

Tom

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
I don't have a specific answer, but if your car is a diesel, its possible it doesn't have one.

Until very recently, knock sensors were only found on gas engines.

TS99

This is the most helpful response I've reviewed so far across the few forums I've posted on. So thank you.

This is my fear. But it leaves me scratching my head as to why the car is throwing up a knock sensor specific code, and why it's possible to buy knock sensors specifically intended for 2.2 civics, and why parts suppliers are able to search my number plate and supply me with a sensor rather than say "there isn't one for your car".

But then again, there is NOTHING online that I can find even mentioning diesel civics and knock sensors in the same conversation. The thing I find probably most strange is that there isn't one instance of anyone else asking this question/with this predicament

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Knock sensors are common on gasoline engines and not diesels as diesels operate on "knock" otherwise known as pre-detonation. There are no spark plugs to initiate combustion, only the compression of fuel and air causes the mixture to self detonate or "knock".

Here in the good 'ol USA, there are ZERO Honda Civic's offered with the diesel option. Honestly, glad they don't as well.

I tried looking online and as well did not find a free manual to look into this. Unfortunately I don't pay for my SnapOn subscription anymore either so I cant look up European Honda models.

Sorry dude.

TS99

Knock sensors are common on gasoline engines and not diesels as diesels operate on "knock" otherwise known as pre-detonation. There are no spark plugs to initiate combustion, only the compression of fuel and air causes the mixture to self detonate or "knock".

Here in the good 'ol USA, there are ZERO Honda Civic's offered with the diesel option. Honestly, glad they don't as well.

I tried looking online and as well did not find a free manual to look into this. Unfortunately I don't pay for my SnapOn subscription anymore either so I cant look up European Honda models.

Sorry dude.
Thanks so much for your response man, you've helped me to confirm my suspicions, and now I'm satisfied that there is indeed no knock sensor. Whilst I was trying to locate the sensor, I noticed (would've had to be blind not to) that the inlet manifold and EGR valve were TOTALLY clogged up with thick carbon powder oily soaked crusty sludge, and the air filter was absolutely sodden too, AND there was a crack in the hose off the air filter to the turbo! (I've only had the car for a couple of months, was meaning to give it some TLC and so I guess this all happened as it was supposed to!) all of that would've given the exact same symptoms as knock sensor failure (limp/sluggish performance, nasty emissions smells) so I spent several hours cleaning it throughly, put it all back together again, and it runs beautifully! The engine light is still on, but hopefully that'll go off by itself. If not I'll borrow a device again to reset it.

Your help is greatly appreciated dude! Thanks again. Tom.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Glad to hear!

get yourself a scanner. can get a decent reader for around $20, but even the $10 bluetooth adapters are better than nothing.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks so much for your response man, you've helped me to confirm my suspicions, and now I'm satisfied that there is indeed no knock sensor. Whilst I was trying to locate the sensor, I noticed (would've had to be blind not to) that the inlet manifold and EGR valve were TOTALLY clogged up with thick carbon powder oily soaked crusty sludge, and the air filter was absolutely sodden too, AND there was a crack in the hose off the air filter to the turbo! (I've only had the car for a couple of months, was meaning to give it some TLC and so I guess this all happened as it was supposed to!) all of that would've given the exact same symptoms as knock sensor failure (limp/sluggish performance, nasty emissions smells) so I spent several hours cleaning it throughly, put it all back together again, and it runs beautifully! The engine light is still on, but hopefully that'll go off by itself. If not I'll borrow a device again to reset it.

Your help is greatly appreciated dude! Thanks again. Tom.
Solid work right there. Love seeing people get in there and figure it out.