Poor Man's Type R

Chingfue

5+ Year Member
My piston rings in my b16a messed up on me so i'm building a new setup before spring hits. I've decided to go with a gsr block with a B16a head and i was just wondering what everyone thinks of this poor man's type r? I'm probably going to port and polish the head but leave everything else stock, let me get some advice from people who'd already done this setup. Let me know what you think? Should i build it, and which way would you decide to go with this setup. I'm planning to keep it a N/A. I've already upgraded the whole fuel system to 310cc RC injectors. Also have skunk2 intake and throttle body, and a greddy 4-2-1 header. Let me know?

C-M-CUM-EM1

5+ Year Member
Hey bro that's the setup that came in my em1 but it has some work in it. Without changing the pistons and cams and some other minor stuff it's really no different than a regular gsr imo. I just got mine boosted and am working on the body now.

Chingfue

5+ Year Member
Do you know if the motor would run right if i went with ctr pistons but keep the head stock? Stock valvetrain.

Matt316

Yes it will run right. All you're doing is increasing your Compression rate. And probably will need to tune your ECU to run it right. B16 and Type R head are similiar to each other. Since you can interswap parts on b16 and type r =) Example B16 head with Type R manifold or Type R head with B16 manifold, Loss Motion Assembly, Valve, Rocker and what not will fit also. Because you can not put a Type R intake manifold on a LS/GSR/RS head. hope that helps ^^;