Post engine swap issues: EX to HX

Jimmy the treemonk

I recently hit a tree with my 97 civic hx. I picked up a 97 civic ex that had a timing belt issue. My friend swapped the motors for me. I noticed that some of the plugs in the wiring harness differ. The car fired right up, but the check engine light is on. The speedometer doesn't work. I drove it about 40 miles. It started acting up. The tach was going crazy, and eventually it died. I drove it home on my booster pack. The next day my buddy swapped alternators, and swapped out the alternator fuse. it is still not charging. Does anybody have any idea what I need to have him do to correct this? Ps I am a treeguy with very little mechanical knowledge. My buddy has always been able to fix my mechanical issues but his specialty would be in pre 80s chevy v8s

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Did you also swap the ECU when you did this swap?

Jimmy the treemonk

W

Which specific two alternator fuses are you talking about?[/
QUOTE]

Number 15 under the dash, large screw in one that says charging under hood.

925"]W

Which specific two alternator fuses are you talking about?
Number 15 under dash and the large screw I

Ecus have been swapped, that made no noticeable change to the car charging or otherwise. My buddy went over all the connections, still wasn't charging. He added an extra ground and that seems to be keeping the battery charged. However if I run the lights, wipers, heater, radio, and hazard lights the alternator doesn't keep up at idle battery slowly drains to below 12v, lights dim, tack starts jumping. Give it gas and it rebounds

Any idea about how many volts alternator should push on idle currently only pushing 12.2-12.3 reading 13.8 -14 at 3000 rpm. Is my alternator weak?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy the treemonk

Thanks all for your help, my problems have been solved. Probably not the exact correct way it should. But my buddy cleaned all contacts, and added an extra ground wire to the motor. Not exactly sure what the motor and tranny are, but they are the motor and tranny out of a stock 97 hx. We never had it hooked to the scanner so I can't give you codes.