Probably nothing, but...(possible overheating?)

replicator

Evening,

I drive a recently purchased '00 Civic LX. Only 79k on the odo. (paid $4,800 at the dealer.)

My temp gauge generally stays below half-way. I noticed last night, after driving for about 15 minutes on a highway, that front grill was steaming. My friend told me that was normal because cylinders get to around 180 degrees. I checked for leaks, none were found.

No coolant smell, top hose was hot, and bottom hose was warm (like it should be for good cooling system operation). Engine is always warm but cool enough to touch no matter how much I drive.

Heat shield is hot enough to evaporate spit (that's how I check). Exhaust pipe after muffler is hot, but barely hot enough to grab and hold it.I have no CEL lights, and the car performs seemingly flawlessly. Engine sounds healthy.

This was on a cold, rainy night, and I haven't noticed it after outside temperature warmed a little.

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding this matter.

-Tom

replicator

Also curious - how hot do these engines typically run? My mom's 2.3L '04 Suzuki Aerio seems a lot cooler. No temp gauge, so really hard to tell.

Oh and, no smoke or steam comes out of exhaust unless it's under 40F outside.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you hit any puddles right before you noticed the steam? cause I hit a puddle pulling into my drive way the other day and it steamed up like it was nobody's business lol

replicator

Yes, I hit several deep puddles on the road, so deep that they splashed on my windshield. Cool, thanks for the info