Problem installing exhaust finisher

Slickone

5+ Year Member
I got the Honda finisher for my '04, but when trying to install it, I used my torque wrench set to whatever the directions said to (20 ft lbs I think it was), but the screw just kept on turning and never would make my wrench click, so it ended up stripping out the screw and welded in nut on the finisher. I got a new finisher now, but am afraid the same thing will happen again. Is it somehow made to where it won't make a torque wrench click, and if so, why do the directions give a torque setting?

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
directions will always give a torque spec for anything that uses bolts, just tighten it to where it wont move...you know snug.... you might have a bad/cheap torque wrench, thats probably why it stripped

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Agreed, use a regular ratchet wrench so you dont get as good leverage.

Slickone

5+ Year Member
directions will always give a torque spec for anything that uses bolts, just tighten it to where it wont move...you know snug.... you might have a bad/cheap torque wrench, thats probably why it stripped
It's a Craftsman torque wrench and seems to work find on my lugnuts. I need to find a way to check it. May be time to exchange it.

I was just using it since I was afraid I'd either over tighten and strip it by hand, but under tighten and that expensive thing would fall of on the road.