Problem with a tach???

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well first of all.. I've been trying to fix this problem lately.. Hopefully you all can help me. I have a 93 civic DX with a B15D7 engine, When i bought the car, I purchased an EX cluster, because it had a tachometer on it. I noticed that when I would start the car, the tachs idle rpm was on 0k ?? Thats odd..... I thought.. So i'de give it gas, and it would fly up to around 5k, then let off the gas and it would go to 0 again. While driving though, sometimes it would ride around 1K.. some times it would go around 2K .. It would normally look like its going the right rmps at mid-range though 3-5K .. So I thought something was wrong with the tach... so I've been wanting a racing tach for a while, so a CC member sold me a 5 inch R1 Racing Tach with shift light, and I plugged it all in right White to Dome light, red to ignition, black to ground, and green i ran to the distributer coil, which is the correct spot for it. I started my car up, it lit up, and i was like wow.. it seems to be working.. It was just under 1k like it should be. no jumping or dropping or anything. I gave it gas, and .. HUH? it would only go to 4K max.. I know i went to about 6700K too.. which is a bit of an over-rev i think? But my question is finally here... I am wondering if there is any way to get a true reading off of the coil without getting MSD or anything, because thats too pricey for me right now. Please help me find the fix for this!!! Thanks..

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the aftermarket tach should give you the correct rpm's. did it hit the rev limiter at 4k? you might have the same problem with your car as cuda. or it could be simpler that your ecu is fried.

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
slowhatch said:
the aftermarket tach should give you the correct rpm's. did it hit the rev limiter at 4k? you might have the same problem with your car as cuda. or it could be simpler that your ecu is fried.
What was cuda's problem?

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I read his post . its not the same problem.

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Fixed Problem

Mister_Perkins said:
I read his post . its not the same problem.
Well .. i figured out the problem .. there is a function button on the tach, and the tach was apparently set at 6 cylinder instead of 4. I had to turn the car off, and then turn it to the on possition w/o turning the vehicle on, and set it, then turned it on. I was so excited. Case CLOSED!! ~