Progress on my ls/vtec

vid_man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeh dude i will be watching this build im curious to see what numbers u put down... and im hopin to see plenty more pics. good luck with the build

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that's actually pretty crazy inexpensive comparitively!

i guess that's the advantage of building a Honda. MY toyota 20V 4A-GE is going to cost me ~$3k to rebuild. but that's with forged valves, forged pistons, crazy valve springs, some hefty head work, calico bearings, and some other craziness. all to make ~220HP out of a 1.6L and rev to 9500rpms.

my question was more why you didn't go with typeR or aftermarket cams. since it's going to need a tune anyway, why not pick up some bigger bumpsticks?

considering how little you've spent, it's going to be really interesting to see how much it makes on the dyno. freakin cool!
yeah, it could have been a lot worse. if i was going with actual aftermarket pistons and valvesprings/retainers it would probably be almost a grand more. as far as cams go, i really just need to finish this motor and get it in the car. my idea behind doing this was to have a fresh motor that will last me through college, so i just need to get it finished to start saving for tuition :roll: but yeah, haven't made any more progress on it yet, but i will this weekend.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good luck with everything man. i hope theres minimal problems

killer_siller

my real car is a toyota
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good luck with everything man. i hope theres minimal problems
GEEZ! while we're hoping, why don't we hope for NO probelms!

you've done something that has taken me numerous builds to figure out: realizing your goals. realizing in this case meaning MAKING REALISTIC.

too many times people shoot for the moon, or do what i call "cumulative digging" as in "while i'm at it" or "i might as well" or "i could go bigger" and cumulatively dig themselves into oblivion.

props on a clean build!

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well got the oil pump, windage tray, and oil pickup on today. its fun trying to pack the pump with petroleum jelly............

the ride is in the garage while its sleeting....and im looking kinda dazed there

the REAL headgasket =)

ebay headgasket......made by "kabuki gaskets" lol

Chingfue

5+ Year Member
Hey Man,
Let me know what's up all right? I was going to do a b20z vtec setup but you know everyone has their own opinion and i went with the negative guys. Peeps say that it doesn't last long, and it's not good for a daily driven ride so i sold my b20z block and did a full B16a2 set up instead. No i'm regretting it and want to do a ls/vtec setup so let me know how it goes and maybe i'll be another ls/vtec 6gen. out there. Thanks man. Keep it up, represent'n for the 6 gen.

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for sure man. i'll keep this page updated as it comes together. hoping to have it in the car within the next few weeks

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good stuff man... i just got my hands on a b18a1 block so im lookin to do a ls/vtec motor too.. def keeping my eyes out on this thread...

good luck man!

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good man from those parts im estimating you'll be in the 170whp - 190whp range no problem.keep us updated though!

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
update as of today (march 30)
got new ARP headstuds and bolted the head down and installed the waterpump and endyn breather fittings. its looking like a motor

supertech bronze valveguides with ITR valves

DC 4-1 race header

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that is coming along very nicely. that block is so clean compared to mine! haha

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
update as of today...(04/05/08)

passwordJDM cam seal y0 =)

parts yet to go in: endyn breather can and skunk2 magnetic oil and transmission bolts