Quad/Graphics to acquire Worldcolor

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Posting this since i work for Quad/Graphics....

Two big printers expected to merge

The Wall Street Journal. 1/26/2010

By Jeffrey McCracken
Privately held Quad/Graphics Inc. of the U.S. is expected to acquire Canadian rival World Color Press Inc. for roughly $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion, said people familiar with the matter, in a deal that would create North America's second-largest commercial printer by sales, behind industry giant R.R. Donnelley & Sons Co.

Under the plan, these people said, shareholders of Toronto-listed World Color, which prints such magazines as Sports Illustrated and Rolling Stone, as well as the Crate & Barrel catalog and Yellow Book directory, would get a 40 percent stake in the newly combined company. The new company would then list on a U.S. stock exchange, they said, in effect bringing Quad/Graphics, whose clients include Newsweek, GQ and the L.L. Bean catalog, to the public market for the first time since its founding in 1971.

Quad/Graphics, based in Sussex, Wis., has 11,500 employees and 11 plants, most of them in the U.S. Its annual sales are around $2 billion. Montreal-based World Color, with a market capitalization of around $730 million, has about 18,000 employees and annual sales of around $3 billion, with about 30 percent of that coming from Canada and Latin America.

If investors value the new company at the same multiple to earnings as they do R.R. Donnelley, it would be worth roughly $5.25 billion. It could be worth more or less depending on market conditions at the time it is listed. The combined firm would have about $2 billion in debt.

The two companies hope to close the deal this summer, people familiar with the matter said. The companies estimate their combined 2010 earnings would be around $875 million, including cost savings.

Under the plan, the Quadracci family, which owns Quad/Graphics, would control the combined company after it went public through ownership of class B shares, these people said. A substantial block of shares would also be owned by Quad/Graphics's employee stock ownership plan.

Quad/Graphics Chief Executive Joel Quadracci, 41 years old, would be CEO of the combined company. Mr. Quadracci's father Harry launched Quad/Graphics nearly four decades ago with a rented printing press in a millwork factory outside Milwaukee. Aside from printing, Quad/Graphics is known for its on-site health clinics. Today, a subsidiary, QuadMed, manages such clinics for other Milwaukee-area companies, such as Miller Brewing.

World Color's CEO, Mark Angelson, 58, is expected to be named to the board of the new company and oversee the integration of the companies, people familiar with the matter said. He is a former CEO of R.R. Donnelley, which has annual sales of around $10 billion.

World Color was formerly known as Quebecor World, before that company filed for bankruptcy in January 2008. It emerged from bankruptcy court in July 2009. Its largest holders include distressed-debt investors, such as Avenue Capital Management , which owns about a 20 percent stake and Centerbridge Partners, with about 9 percent, according to recent securities filings.

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., which advised Quad/Graphics on the deal, will commit to $1.2 billion in financing to refinance debt and pay off other obligations. Quad/Graphics was also advised by law firms Foley & Lardner LLP and Torys LLP. Morgan Stanley and law firms Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP advised World Color

______________________________________________________________________________________

An old-fashioned merger at World Color
The Toronto Globe and Mail. 1/26/2010

The old-fashioned, cost-driven merger is back, as family-controlled Quad/Graphics consolidates the printing industry by taking out World Color Press, the company that emerged from Quebcor World’s trip through creditor protection.

There is one number of focus on in this deal: $225-million (U.S.) That’s the estimated cost savings the combined companies expect to realize over the next 24 months, as they knit together the largest privately-owner printer in North America with the No. 2 company in the sector.

Creating a company with market leadership, all kinds of potential synergies and $5.1-billion in revenues that in turn generate $647-million in EBITDA gets all kinds of support from the Street.

In a sign that banks were willing to lend on sensibly levered takeover, J.P. Morgan will put up $1.2-billion to redo the balance sheet of the combined companies. Total debt at the combined companies is estimated at $1.7-billion, or 2.6 times EBITDA. This merger will produce a conservatively financed printing company.

These are the sort of deals that tend to work: Companies with complimentary operations coming together, with rational financing and a clear sense of who is going to run the combined entity. And make no mistake, the Quad/Graphics team is in charge.

Joel Quadracci, the current boss at Quad/Graphics, will serve as Chairman, President and CEO of the expanded company. World Color head Mark Angelson, who has done a terrific job for creditors and shareholders, will move to a board role, running the committee that will keep an eye on integration.

Those social issues – investment banker jargon for who will do what at this massive printing company – speak to the other rational for this combination. Quad/Graphics, to again parrot the bankers, is getting liquidity.

Formerly-private Quad/Graphics will own 60 per cent of the new, publicly traded entity. That means the family and management team that build the company will now have a way to cash in on their efforts, or “monetize” as the financiers put it.

That process starts the moment this deal closes, as part of the merger agreement gives Quad/Graphics current owners the right to take a one-time $140-million cash distribution out of the combined companies.

J.P Morgan advised Quad/Graphics on this transaction, along with law firms Torys and Foley & Lardner.

Across the table, Morgan Stanley worked with World Colour, with legal counsel for Osler Hoskin & Harcourt and Sullivan & Cromwell.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Quad/Graphics to acquire Worldcolor

On Tuesday, January 26, our President & CEO announced we plan to acquire Worldcolor, a deal he explains will secure our future in print and vault us to a $5 billion company. The following is the full text of his email.

I am excited to announce today that Quad/Graphics has signed an agreement to acquire Worldcolor which will secure our future in print and vault us to a $5 billion company with expanded geographic reach and with a presence in a broader range of product segments. This is a transformational event in our company’s history and will be a springboard to growth and opportunity!

This has been a HUGE decision for me, my family, the board of directors and my fellow officers, and one in which we have spent a lot of time thinking about and evaluating. We are all very confident that this is the right choice to move Quad/Graphics forward and help us continue to succeed over the long term.

We expect to close on the transaction this coming summer.

As a result of this transaction, Quad/Graphics will become a publicly traded company – something that will no doubt surprise many of you. However, we determined that the best way to pay for this transaction was to use our equity rather than use debt. To that end, we will issue new shares to Worldcolor’s existing shareholders, and their shareholders will end up with 40 percent of our shares. Quad/Graphics shareholders will retain majority ownership of the company with 60 percent of the shares. But even more importantly, the Harry V. Quadracci family will have 78 percent of the voting control of the company through the ownership of high-vote stock. In other words, Quad/Graphics remains firmly in the control of the Quadracci family.

We’ve always touted the strength of being privately held because it meant we could manage for today and for the long term. At the same time, we’ve always run Quad/Graphics like a public company, with public company controls and operations in place. We will continue to operate the company as we always have, with a focus on the long term and with the values that have made us successful since our inception.

On top of my role as President & CEO of the expanded Quad/Graphics, I will take on the additional role of Chairman of the Board, which was just confirmed at our most recent Board meeting on Sunday. The future Board will be comprised of the six current Quad/Graphics directors as well as two Worldcolor directors: Mark Angelson, Worldcolor's current Chairman & CEO, who will Chair the Board Committee on Integration and Consolidation and another director who will be named prior to closing.

Worldcolor’s employees are true print professionals who have worked very hard to keep the company performing in and out of bankruptcy and through all the difficult times they have experienced. I look forward to welcoming them into the Quad family as they join us in reaffirming our position as the Best Printer in the World.

For all of you, this is a call to action! I equate the last couple of years to driving a racecar in a parking lot. It’s fun, but the car is capable of so much more. We are capable of so much more! This deal puts us on the race track and in the pole position! While we will face challenges in making this acquisition work well, I also know we will rise to those challenges and conquer them in true Quad fashion. So, once the deal closes (which is expected this summer), I will need you all to step up to the plate, be ready to assist with the integration process (more on that later) and be ambassadors to our new partner-employees at Worldcolor. In the meantime, until we close the deal this summer, it’s business as usual here and I know I can count on you to stay focused and keep up your good work.

I’ve attached today’s press release so you can read all the details.

I will be addressing all employees (via live video broadcast) later this week. Stay tuned for details.

For those of you on my management team, I will have a special managers meeting (also via live video broadcast) on Wednesday, January 27, at 6 p.m. Central Time (7 p.m. Eastern, 4 p.m. Pacific). Additional details, such as where to meet or see the video feed, will be forthcoming.

I reiterate my enthusiasm about our acquisition of Worldcolor and what it means for our future. I look forward to sharing more with you soon!

Joel

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I work in printing so this is really interesting to me, very big news. What do you do at QG?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i work on a Rotogravure press, been there for 3 1/2 years

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he works for quad...

the largest printer in the world was RR donnelly.

quebecor world filed chapter 13 2 years ago.

quad graphics has looked into purchasing quebecor... but.. wasnt financially able to until now.

this merger will make them the largest printer in the western hemisphere.

quad graphics is a privately traded company... this merger will put them on the stock market publically...

you should invest in them if you have the money... nothing but huge things come from them.

quad graphics benefits plan is second to none... they offer severely discounted medical insurance to its employees... when i worked there... i paid 7 dollars a week for single... then it went up to 12.... and now i think its under 40 a week for a family...

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
quad graphics benefits plan is second to none... they offer severely discounted medical insurance to its employees... when i worked there... i paid 7 dollars a week for single... then it went up to 12.... and now i think its under 40 a week for a family...
i pay $24 a week for insurance, and if i join the Lean you program, it goes down to like $12

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, sounds like you have a good job :thumbs up

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i pay $24 a week for insurance, and if i join the Lean you program, it goes down to like $12
why didnt you do that? do you get the benefit for being a non smoker? or do they still do that?

they have programs there that if you are an active person and go to the gym on a regular basis and work out... you wont have to pay any health insurance... even a benefit for being a non smoker.

its a pretty good place to work.. and i wish i still worked there.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My Pops works at the Quad Graphics in Sussex, Wis.
yea?

whats he do?

if i lived in the Milwaukee area... id go back to work for quad no doubt

musezik

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea?

whats he do?

if i lived in the Milwaukee area... id go back to work for quad no doubt

Yeah as soon I as turned 18 I'll probably go work with him.
I think he packages the magazines and all that stuff.
Sometimes I think they get some playboys to package. 0_o

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah as soon I as turned 18 I'll probably go work with him.
I think he packages the magazines and all that stuff.
Sometimes I think they get some playboys to package. 0_o
yup... definatly could do that...lol

quad graphics is the sole printer of playboy magazines.